Video Card Problems

Aegis

I've been having a bad day as far as computers go. Never having had used a PCI-E card before, I plugged in my card hoping all was good to go. But then I noticed that I forgot to plug in the power connector from my card to the power supply. So I fetched the plug, but noticed that the yellow wire on one of the connectors had somehow detached itself. Not thinking much about it, I reattached it into one of the free slots in the connector. Then I power up my computer and...nothing. I recheck everything and I still get a blank screen. Isolating everything worked, so I thought it might be the video card. It turned out that my carelessness reinserted the yellow wiring into the wrong place :realmad:!!! So now my question is, is there any way to detach the yellow power connector wire and reattach it into the right place?

On another note, something (I'm not sure what it's for) on my motherboard burnt down...Could it be possible that turning the power supply on and off to shutdown the computer is a bad idea?

a slight tug and push should fix the yellow wire, turning on and off the computer with the psu's power switch poses no real threat other then data lose, you could check with another pc to see if the video card still works tho it might not depending on where you put the yellow wire. if it dosent work just rma/excange it and say it was dead out of the box.

On another note, something (I'm not sure what it's for) on my motherboard burnt down...Could it be possible that turning the power supply on and off to shutdown the computer is a bad idea?

What type of PSU is it? The PSU may not have enough juice to fire up the mobo with the video card.

Are you running SLI? Some boards need a molex plugged into the board itself or they behave goofy (at least my eVGA NF41 needs one for SLI/OK with a single card).

Edited by Vitalix

I switched the wire from the first hole to the fourth. Any way to buy a replacement cable? Going through the RMA process is overkill to fix such a simple problem. And I ran my video card without the power connector at all, though I didn't notice any change.

I would just skip that molex. This is for the 6-pin PCI-E to molex adaptor, right?

Is this a similar adapter?

Indeed! I'm not sure it's safe to skip it though, since my monitor output failed to appear. Then again, I don't even know if two molexes are required, or if the lack of output is due to me not having inserted the processor yet ;).

According to your explanation, you just fried your video card. :no: You connected the +12v to the +5v input.

On another note, something (I'm not sure what it's for) on my motherboard burnt down...
You fried your mobo too. Putting 12v into the video card also put 12v through the PCI-E and into the mobo's 5v circuitry. :o Edited by LLXX