[Question] 2 byte trick to turn home into pro

Synapse

ok, i recently found this trick on a friends blog, and searched here on MSFN.. it has came up in the news here on msfn and was wondering if anyone has done this..

MSFN News Article

now... i decided to try this on my VMWare workstation with no networking options enabled.. (as to not send out any info..) and it did work to my surprise... Now i do not support software piracy, and i will not use this on a live computer, but was wondering if anyone has taken this further and tried doing stuff like windows updates and other stuff.

Wow. I have read about this before but didnt know it worked. My question is if it is a full fledged trasnformation into Pro or not because the kernel in XP Home is restrictive in that it does not allow multithreading whereas it does in Pro. I think it just changes the name of the OS.

I don't believe its a simple change of text from Home to Professional... from the txtsetup on everything Home is now Professional... even the setup propaganda says its pro lol!.. hell i was really shocked when i saw the Windows XP Professional Boot screen..

not sure about the kernel though, as for number of processors it supports and so on (XP Home allows 1... XP Pro allows 2) but all the security tabs, sharing tabs, encrypted file system, and everything else i'm missing out on in xp home is there and workin lol.. only down side i've seen so far is theres no gpedit and secpol... but with the right knowledge that was no problem.. made a batch file to expand the necessary files and regsvr them, to enable gpedit and secpol.msc.

Edited by Bi0haZarD

I did it after I read an article ...

works fine, windows product activation also works, software which needs validation (shared computer toolkit e.g.) also works

many things are added, only a few are missing: cmd-tool "kill", that server software which is included in pro and another thing (also not important) ...

kernel in XP Home is restrictive in that it does not allow multithreading

It does allow multithreading with a hyperthreaded P4/Xeon. From my understanding it'll even allow for a dual core CPU, but I haven't had the opportunity to test this. What it doesn't allow is SMP, or multiprocessors.

Just thought I'd clear that up. :)

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Pro has many more features that require extra/different files than home. If you FC the files in the Pro distro and the Home distro, you'll find quite a few differences. See here if you don't want to compare yourself:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=104

Essentially what you get is an OS halfway between pro and home.

Now MS wouldn't be so stupid as to include Pro files on the Home CD?!?!

However... turning Pro into Home is much more feasible :lol:

Edited by LLXX