Software recommendation for encoding DVDs?

tkmadison

Right now I'm using DVDSanta and it's slower than hell. My digital camera records in AVI format, which is kind of a pain.

About two hours of AVI footage takes nearly 8 hours to convert. Bear in mind that my system is getting old...(a Celeron 900 processor)

Any suggestions for something that works better or (fingers crossed) quicker?

Yes, TMPGEnc Plus is, imho, the best professional encoder. TMPGEnc DVD Author comes with many elegant templates for DVD Authoring which multiplexes the .AC3 audio with the MPEG-2 (.M2V) files. These are the formats I've used and most commonly seen used by others.

Cinema Craft Encoder basic. $56, but the fastest encoder on the market with extremely good quality, as long as you keep the bitrate above 3000.

For your processor, make sure you get the most recent version, others will crash because of you not having SSE instructions.

Changing software will barely have any effect. Decoding, transcoding and encoding are purely CPU related matters. The only real way to speed up that process is by increasing your CPU. In your case, that would require a whole new system.