[Question] - Re-install of Windows XP

Fozj

I have an old HP Pavilion computer I bought used, for a learning toy. It now has a Cognac motherboard with a Celeron 600MHZ processor, Question, If I replace the motherboard with an Intel 810E and Pentium III processor will I have to re-install Windows XP Professional? I do not have the XP CD, but I do have the key number of the operating system that is installed on the computer, thanks to Belarc Advisor.

2nd Question, If I tried this and it would not work, could I re-install the original Cognac motherboard and be back in operation. Thanks Foz

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

I have an old HP Pavilion computer I bought used, for a learning toy. It now has a Cognac motherboard with a Celeron 600MHZ processor, Question, If I replace the motherboard with an Intel 810 and Pentium III processor will I have to re-install Windows XP Professional? I do not have the XP CD, but I do have the key number of the operating system that is installed on the computer, thanks to Belarc Advisor.

If you are just replacing the motherboard and processor you should not have to reinstall windows because windows xp pro is stored on the hard drive and if you are not replaceing the hard drive then you dont have to reinstall windows but if you were replaceing the HDD then you would have to install windows.

2nd Question, If I tried this and it would not work, could I re-install the original Cognac motherboard and be back in operation.

Yes you can reinstall the old motherboard and it should work fine.

Hopes this helps.

Actually, it depends on what hardware is included on the motherboard - if you replace the motherboard, you do run the risk of having to re-activate due to changing of things like chipset components, possibly the audio controller and/or network controller, etc. - you probably won't have to reinstall, but you'll likely have to re-activate Windows.

...Yes you can reinstall the old motherboard and it should work fine...
i agree

with one condition : both chipset must be intel .

i810 is intel .

if cognac motherboard has a VIA or SIS ... will never work .

reactivation is other thing .

Sometimes even if chipsets are differents windows can boot ... if doesn't you will see the bsod ... and you can re-install windows and you keep all apps & settings but you need to re-activate in two cases.

what is the basic function of the motherboard anyway?

:o

The main circuit board of a microcomputer. The motherboard contains the connectors for attaching additional boards. Typically, the motherboard contains the CPU, BIOS, memory, mass storage interfaces, serial and parallel ports, expansion slots, and all the controllers required to control standard peripheral devices, such as the display screen, keyboard, and disk drive. Collectively, all these chips that reside on the motherboard are known as the motherboard's chipset...
The "heart" of your PC -- it handles system resources (IRQ lines, DMA channels, I/O locations), as well as core components like the CPU, and all system memory. It accepts expansion devices such as sound and network cards, and modems.

what is the basic function of the motherboard anyway?

:o

The main circuit board of a microcomputer. The motherboard contains the connectors for attaching additional boards. Typically, the motherboard contains the CPU, BIOS, memory, mass storage interfaces, serial and parallel ports, expansion slots, and all the controllers required to control standard peripheral devices, such as the display screen, keyboard, and disk drive. Collectively, all these chips that reside on the motherboard are known as the motherboard's chipset...
The "heart" of your PC -- it handles system resources (IRQ lines, DMA channels, I/O locations), as well as core components like the CPU, and all system memory. It accepts expansion devices such as sound and network cards, and modems.

oh, i knew that, haveing a blond moment :lol: , sry

I have an old HP Pavilion computer I bought used, for a learning toy. It now has a Cognac motherboard with a Celeron 600MHZ processor, Question, If I replace the motherboard with an Intel 810E and Pentium III processor will I have to re-install Windows XP Professional? I do not have the XP CD, but I do have the key number of the operating system that is installed on the computer, thanks to Belarc Advisor.

2nd Question, If I tried this and it would not work, could I re-install the original Cognac motherboard and be back in operation. Thanks Foz

You'll be fine if the HALs used by both are compatible and if the hard disk controllers used by both are compatible. You can't solve the HAL issue easily, and the hard disk controller issue can be resolved by pre-installing the HDD drivers for your new motherboard while your old MB is still in use.

If you couldn't boot with the new MB, just put the old one back in.

Legal users, for the most part, shouldn't need to worry about reauthorizing the computer; it should be very straightforward.

I changed the motherboards today and put a old HDD in that had Windows 98SE it worked fine, but I did not install all the chipset drivers, or any drivers that are needed for the Intel CA810E board. I have read conflicting information on this post as to wheather XP will work. I don't know what HAL is. Both boards have Intel chipsets, i810 and 810E. I would appreciate more advice.

Thanks Foz

It'll work but you run the chance of running into driver/registry/other issues. For instance, you'll have old drivers from the old board hanging around that you don't need anymore. Plus you'll probably have to load additional drivers for everything on the new board to work correctly. Reinstalling on a motherboard swap is highly recommended...unless you're swapping for the exact same motherboard make/model (i.e. in the case of an RMA replacement).

I tried the HDD with Windows XP Pro on it and HDD was recognized in the BIOS setup but would not boot to XP. The BIOS on the Intel CA 810E m/b must not be capable of recognizing XP?? Thanks for everyones advice. Foz