Queue based printing vs IP based printing

D8TA

I am wondering what some of the pros and cons of each would be? We currently are using a Novell queue based printing but we are looking at IP based printing and wondering what the pros and cons would be. We have approximately 300 printers with about 2400 nodes. Is IP based printing the way to go or should we just stick with out Novell queues.

Some of the pros we already have come up with is

No server needed

Queues don't need to be rebuilt after server upgrades

Bidirectional communications with the printer/device

Better path for technology advancement

Troubleshooting simplification

Mitigate printing failure risk

Reduction of network connections

Elimination of the IPX protocol

Cons were

No server spooling

Workstation spooling

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

I used to work for a bank while they were doing their conversion from Novell queue's to IP based printing....They were about 26,000 employee's large and it was one heck of a job. (Took over a year)

I can tell you that the reason they went ip based is because its so easy to manage and troubleshoot, you literally can't go wrong! Plus the fact that Novell is not as widely used eliminates support possibilities. This is definately a matter in which pro's will outweigh con's in almost any enviornment.

No server spooling

Workstation spooling

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

Cons:

You've got to manage it on the client side, which is a PITA.

Imagine this scenario:

Users on each floor of a 5 story building are each in their own group.

Your Windows Server 2003 login script checks the group, and runs the associated batch command to map all the printers for the given users that belong to each group.

If your printers ever change, updating them enterprisewide is as easy as changing the batch script - once, not once for each and every user.

You can also manage drivers better - update a driver on the server, *one* time, and *all* clients get the updated driver.

Adding a printer on a client, if you didn't want to use batch scripts, is as easy as typing \\servername\printername, and you'll not need to add printer drivers or screw with anything else, ever.

• 4 years later...
I used to work for a bank while they were doing their conversion from Novell queue's to IP based printing....They were about 26,000 employee's large and it was one heck of a job. (Took over a year)

I can tell you that the reason they went ip based is because its so easy to manage and troubleshoot, you literally can't go wrong! Plus the fact that Novell is not as widely used eliminates support possibilities. This is definately a matter in which pro's will outweigh con's in almost any enviornment.

Hi i am also looking for the same thing to do? Can you please tell me how you did this IP based printing possible

I assume he meant for you to do this.

http://www.google.com/search?q=copy%2Fpast...logon+script%22

Check out this link as well, it might be more of what you are looking for.

http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/WinXP/printing.html

EDIT: If that aint what you are looking for, then maybe you need to tell us exactly what problem you are having, do your printers have IP Addresses on the network yet. Not all printer models use DHCP, some require manual configuration of the IP Address at the printer (physically).

How many printers and how many clients are we talking about, different solutions are required for a company with 20,000 desktops, then for a home user with only a single desktop. What kind of advice are you looking for ?

Edited by MrJinje