[Article | Guide ] Localization: MUI and Regional Options

In this article I would like to cover the questions related to the OS localization: the language interface, Regional and Language options and the keyborad layout. Needless to say, we can do all of the above unattended.

The article thoroughly explains how to prepare for unattended installation and install during or after Windows setup:

• Multilanguage User Interface (MUI)
  • MUI updates
  • Regional and Language Options (via the answer file or/and regopts.txt method)
  • Location (registry)
  • Keyboard Layout (registry or the answer file) and Key sequence (registry)

Read more...

The article is intended for the Reference section, and hopefully will get the corresponding menu entry soon :)

• 4 months later...

Is it possible to localize the Windows source itself, without having to use an unattended installation? I mean like in nlite, when you browse to the windows source and it says e.g. Language: English (United States). Is there any way to change that language directly?

• 1 month later...

@ T D

Sorry for replying two months after the question was posted :) Subscription didn't work or something like that. Anyway, I don't know a way to localize the English source directly. It could be possible, but really not practical. MUI is a much easier way to localize the system if you don't have access to or don't want to use the localized version of Windows XP.

MUI may not localize the system completely (i.e. some misc dialog windows or messages may not be translated). It may vary from language to language, though. However, we've found that Windows Help that comes with MUI is (in some aspects) better localized than the one that comes with Windows XP RU :) For example, it is true for some Windows XP commands - their help output has been translated in MUI, but not in the original Russian OS :)

Another valuable contribution from Vadikan! :thumbup

With the US En CD media alone, I don't believe it's possible to turn it to a localised version. That's why you need the extra files in the MUI. When you compare localised versions of XP CD with one another, at least for CJK, the CD size is larger than the US.

• 3 months later...

Hi all. I am from Bulgaria. I write here because I have a problem with BG MUI setup and user locale instalation. Whatever I do I cant make section "User locale" in BG language when my installation in progress

If you have a free time and suport me Im be very grateful

10x a lot

Alex

there is my files:

cmd lines:

[Commands]

"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U,nLiteReg"

".\WinMUI\muisetup.exe /i 0402 /d 0402 /l /f /r /s"

"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U"

"REGEDIT /S hkcu.reg"

nLiteReg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\Geo]

"Nation"="35"

mui.txt

[unattended]

OemPreinstall=Yes

OemFilesPath=\\muicore\unattend

OemSkipEula=YES

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup="1","5"

SystemLocale=0402

UserLocale=0402

post-101517-1161077523_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Can someone explain me some thing about xp mui files?

I was translated xp x64 german mui files to croatian (with rc-wintrans) and when installed and switched to croatian everything is translated to croatian

But after I get Windows Update some translations are lost

So I noticed what's the problem:

for an example original winlogon.exe has version 5.2.3790.3959 and after update is version 5.2.3790.4516

my winlogon.exe.mui has version 5.2.3790.3959 and after update winlogon.exe to version 5.2.3790.4516 translations are lost

So I changed with XNResourceEditor winlogon.exe.mui version from 5.2.3790.3959 to 5.2.3790.4516 and translations returned

This happened with few other files like shell32.dll (6.0.3790.3959 to 6.0.3790.4559),....

I'm now interesting why I must change mui file version so the translations are accepted after windows update, because in original german MUI translations remains after windows update

Where and how are mui files version information stored? is it somewhere in registry or does it mui file itself must contain something besides version information about main exe or dll that it translates?