[Question] - after 20 days...

rockie

my computer is still running, since 5th Dec.

for some reason, no more application can be launched

when this happening, all double clicked application's

memory usage is like 2,932k in task manager.

is there any ways to keep windows xp fresh for a long long time ?

--------------------

windows xp sp2

xp2500+

256mb

via kt880

I've had my Dell with an nLited XP running for about 130 days now... Still runs as fast as it would on a fresh boot! ;)

Don't run too many apps while your computer is running for that long period of time... It tends to fill up your RAM and leave excess stuff in there (from my experiences, anyway) as well as other temporary files in your computer's drive(s)! ;) Also, if you're careful with your computer, you should disable System Restore since that'll eat up some stuff while its running! :)

If you are unable to launch any applications after a certain number of days, it's usually due to resource exhaustion - either in desktop heap, kernel nonpaged pool, kernel paged pool, or system PTE's. You can track most of these via perfmon, and I'd bet that if you ran perfmon from the time you first started up to the time you are unable to launch any new applications, we'd see a definitive reduction in one (or more) of these critical kernel memory resource pools. Just because your box has lots of free *RAM* doesn't mean it hasn't run out of *memory* - memory can mean many things in Windows, not just RAM.

In this case, I think it would be best to run perfmon and/or poolmon on the system in question to find out which program(s) are misbehaving, rather than just sweeping the problem under the rug with a reboot or utilities that wipe memory. These are bandaids, not solutions.

You can make your computer run like new, every time you reboot it! if u use a program called faronics deep freeze! Not to mention it virtually makes your system inpervious to viruses and other threts! The secret is it "freezes" the computer in a perfect configuration mode (well u have to first put your computer in a perfect configuration) and whenever you restart your computer it irraticates all changes made to your system keeping it perfect, day after day, month after month, year after year, decade after decade! insureing no update to your computer need ever be made, no patches, no hotfixes nothing!, because you will always have a perfect computeing inviroment and no viruses, worms, etc. can survive in a deep freeze inviroment once the computer is restarted! If you choose to install faronics deepfreeze you must partision your drive! in one partision put your doucments and settings folder and in the other one put everything else. so when it askes you wat to "freeze" do not select the drive letter you gave your doucments and settings folder, because if you do, deepfreeze will erase anything you might save to my doucments! if you would like to learn more you can go to the deepfreeze website

• 5 weeks later...

Deep Freeze does this, yes, but it adds overhead itself rerouting all file access to temporary copies (especially on first access, when it makes the copy). This also means eating up a fair bit of disk space if you open large frozen files for write access. Plus last I checked it can't selectively protect folders, only create a small unprotected 'fake' partition (a drive which is actually the contents of a folder, which isn't protected when accessed via the virtual drive). Not especially good if your keep your files on the same partition as your OS (though you shouldn't). Another bit of annoyance is you have to reboot to turn it on or off.

There may be other programs that do the same, that work better for this purpose. (And are less expensive.)

BTW, speaking of memory leaks... I just rebooted a few minutes ago as my computer was really starting to bog down, between Azureus and Firefox using 150MB of RAM each. I noticed in Process Explorer that a lot of programs only had 2-3MB of private bytes but 60-100MB of virtual memory! Closing these only freed up as much as their private size though, so maybe it's a PE bug... also one instance of svchost.exe was hogging up another 150MB of private bytes! I closed it and it respawned as normal, using only 20MB. O_o

Edited by HyperHacker

I noticed in Process Explorer that a lot of programs only had 2-3MB of private bytes but 60-100MB of virtual memory! Closing these only freed up as much as their private size though, so maybe it's a PE bug... also one instance of svchost.exe was hogging up another 150MB of private bytes! I closed it and it respawned as normal, using only 20MB.

Private bytes is the actual amount of memory a process is using, and virtual bytes is the amount of virtual address space a process has allocated - so in fact, if a process is only using 2-3MB, that's all you'll get back (allocated address space that is unused is just that - unused but reserved).

As to the svchost, try running tlist -svc (you will need the debugging tools installed) to see which svchost it is that's actually using the memory (svchost is just a service wrapper for other services).