[Help] - XP not booting to Desktop

codeblue

In the middle of playing Pro Evo 5 when i heard a click from the Hard Drive. From experience i knew what was comming and for sure after about 5 seconds the game froze and up popped the BSOD. Pants.....

When booting now the Win logo appears with the bouncing green line, but after the screen goes black...then nothing. Tried ALL safe modes without joy. Luckly i can access my other Hard Drive where i test my Nlite and WPI projects (this is how i can write this message) and i can see and access all drives on my main HD.

Is there a way to fix this without a format? Maybe removing a corupt file and replacing with good one from good HD?

Any idea what happened?

Thanks in advanced :thumbup

might be able to run the commands

/fixboot

/fixmbr

but there is no telling what the 'sound' messed up...you should have had a 'backup' on those other drives you can access.....might also try and find a free copy of Hiren's BootCD 7.3+miniPE.v2k5.09.03-XT.

Might also try and check for bad sectors.....

Edited by jroc

i suggest, making a BArtPE cd with the UBCD4WIN plugins.. using another computer... then try booting that and sharing that hard drive.. from another computer make backups of everythign, cause sounds like either your harddrive is about to die... or has already died.

once you backup everything you want to keep try running some of the hard drive utitilties to fix it..

BartPE

UBCD4WIN

"heard a click from the Hard Drive"

dude, you need to backup your hdd as soon as possible. there is a possible physical damage to your hdd.

backup and check for bad sectors or hdd errors that might affected your windows.

yes, i agreed; use BartPE to investigate and backup as much data as you can.