PCIe with Win98SE?

rainyd

As for ATI and my x850PRO -

The Catalyst 5.9 does have a beta driver in there, but it will not install with ATI's installation program!

Not only that, but on my Via chipset motherboards (Asus A7V880, Abit KW7, and Asus A7V333), I must do a bit of creative installing to get AGP (instead of PCI) speeds and AGP texturing to work.

-I install the 4.43v 4-in1's but only the AGP driver, no reboot.

-Install the Hyperion Pro 5.04A without the AGP driver. Reboot.

-Install the USB 2.0 driver. Reboot.

-In device manager, manually update the Microsoft PCI to PCI controller to the Via AGP normal driver, not the one with AGP 2.0/3.0 support that breaks AGP on 9x by using a .sys driver instead of a .vxd that the normal one uses.

Then, after Direct X, etc, I need to install the associated ATI WDM driver, not reboot.

- Remove the 2 default monitors Windows installed in device manager

- Run the ATI Catalyst 5.9 setup to let it fail after extracting the drivers.

- Update the Standard PCI Graphics Driver (VGA) by directing Windows to the ATI folder and the first inf in the list.

- Choose the 3rd Radeon x850 in the list (at least, that works for my x850PRO).

- Don't reboot.

-Update the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter by directing Windows to the ATI folder and the first inf in the list.

- Choose the 3rd Radeon Secondary x850 in the list.

- Don't reboot.

- Run the ATI Control Panel setup from the ATI folder.

- Don't reboot.

- Check in Sysedit for your PATH statement to correct it. ATI adds to the line as if it were beginning the line. Fix that.

- Reboot, set your resolutions, and reboot again for the remaining WDM driver parts to install.

That sure is a Beta setup routine, eh? Funny thing is that it all works perfectly. The things lost are Smartgart, an Overdrive tab, and that thing that resets the display if the driver crashes during a game (forget what it's called).

But the Control Panel 3D stuff is all there and runs the card perfectly.

I wonder if ATI is aware of this and, if so, why don't they warn users in the Release Notes that this setup routine is necessary?

Maybe I'll do a problem report, if it's even possible without XP. I don't know. I'll check it out. But I'm sure others have noticed this, unless NO ONE with this card bothers with 98SE anymore.

Of course, the latest Cat's and XP install normally.

The weirdest thing is the ATI MMC 9.13, which claims incompatibility with 9x, works perfectly! (At least, with my previousely downloaded (on XP) DVD setup file. I direct the installer to it as I don't think it'll download it to 98SE.)

I have tested 2 boards with PCI-E and Intel chipsets with the following result:

MSI MS-9625 915GM Speedster-FA4, chipset Intel, northbridge 915GM, southbridge ICH-6:

ATI X300SE: OK

ATI X550, Nvidia 6200 TC, Nvidia 6600: I/O resources conflict, unresolved yet.

Gigabyte GA-8I955X Pro, chipset Intel, northbridge 955X, southbridge ICH-7R, dual core D820 processor:

ATI X300SE, ATI X550, Nvidia 6200, Nvidia 6200 TC: OK

Nvidia 6600 (Gigabyte NX66256DP): most tests will pass, but the system completely freezes (including the mouse) during:

- login to Novell Netware network

- Everest benchmark tests.

Other tests like 3DMark03, 3DMark2001, PCMark2002 pass with no problem.

It seems that your configuration has to be tested.

Nvidia Windows 98/ME really does not officially support any PCI-E board, it is necessary to select the board manually because there are also AGP variants that are supported.

Petr

I´m surprised :blushing:

Where do you find the last Catalyst 6.2 Driver supporting 9x systems? On the official ATI page i can only find the actual drivers for XP/2000 platforms.

Tijay

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...ge&folderID=297

(Main menu -> Drivers & Software -> Windows 98/98 SE -> Windows 98 Drivers and Software -> RADEON -> Catalyst Windows 98 / ME - Driver Download -> Display Driver Control Panel driver -> Download 6-2_wme_dd_cp_30314.exe)

Where is the problem?

Petr

Hey, that's not your fault if ATI put the wrong year there! My old brain didn't even think to look at that.

The whole driver and ATI Control Panel package, and the ATI MMC 9.13 (as long as you have the cd for their DVD installer detection and install all the required downloads) work great on 98SE!

I don't know if the DVD decoder will download to 98 though. The installer downloads, of course, but I don't know if the DVD setup file the installer downloads will download to 98. I had mine burned to a cdr from when I downloaded it on XP and just choose to install from a previously downloaded file and type in where it is (or, when the browse button works, you can browse to it.)

• 5 months later...

Thank you for this topic.

I had the same problem to run Win98SE on ASUS P5LD2-SE (i945P+ICH7) and PCI-E Gigabyte 6600GT.

With manual installation of Intel INF utility v6.3.0.1007 and nVidia Forceware 77.72 everything works great.

The next step was to install manually the rest of the unknown devices with Intel INF utility v8.1.1.1001 except the PCI Card which you can safety disabled. So right now Intel ICH7 has support for Win98SE.

It seems that you can run the whole Intel i9xx series with nVidia PCI-E 6xxx series on Win98SE with no trouble :)

Edited by iGadget

Thank you for this topic.

I had the same problem to run Win98SE on ASUS P5LD2-SE (i945P+ICH7) and PCI-E Gigabyte 6600GT.

With manual installation of Intel INF utility v6.3.0.1007 and nVidia Forceware 77.72 everything works great.

The next step was to install manually the rest of the unknown devices with Intel INF utility v8.1.1.1001 except the PCI Card which you can safety disabled. So right now Intel ICH7 has support for Win98SE.

It seems that you can run the whole Intel i9xx series with nVidia PCI-E 6xxx series on Win98SE with no trouble :)

The modified INF files for i945P/955X+ICH7 are here: ich7.zip

My experience shows that some 6600 work, some not, it has to be tested in each case, there is no general rule.

Petr

Edited by Petr

• 2 weeks later...
OK, so I was able to test Nvidia 6200 PCI-E in i955X motherboard and it works fine with manually selected driver:

nvidia.gif

I have also created INF files for i955X Express chipset: http://www.winpack.org/petr/i955X.zip and now everything looks correctly in the device manager:

system.gif

Warning - Nvidia GeForce 6200 Turbo Cache does not work in Windows 98 SE!!

It seems that just GeForce 6200, 6600LE and 6600 are supported.

Petr

If it's fine with a GeForce 6600GT, that probably can't be right! Because a 6600 GT is just a faster version of the 6600, AFAIK!

Wow, thread revival.

On-topic of PCI-E chipsets, I've heard that any 900-series integrated graphics from Intel is backwards compatible with the i810 chipset and that using the 810 driver should work.

I recently tried the SciTech driver for my video card (nVidia FX5200) and cannot recommend them at all. This is only an AGP card, but upon installing the driver and rebooting, all I get is a black screen when it's supposed to initialise the video. The same happened with my other computer (865 chipset) and SciTech's driver. If they can't even manage to make these rather well-known and aged chipsets work, I'm not too trusting them to make the newer ones do.

I have tested SciTech driver on a computer with FX5200 AGP card and i845PE chipset and it worked fine, just any 3DMark test did not passed because the SciTech driver is for office use only and has no 3D support.

In addition to previously tested system I have also tested GA-8I945PL-G motherboard and the result was the same as with GA-8I955X Pro, i.e. Nvidia 6200 Turbo Cache OK, Nvidia 6600 (Gigabyte NX66256DP) got frozen on certiain events.

Petr