How to install Vista 5270 on VMW

shanssv

Vista betas won't install to "raw" disk partitions just yet.

What you should do is format the partition as NTFS then restart the VM and installation will go through.

VMWare have this documented here:

http://www.vmware.com/support/guestnotes/d...s_winvista.html

This is the relevant bit:

Installing the Guest Operating System

1. Insert the Windows Vista CD in the CD-ROM drive.

2. Power on the virtual machine to start installing Windows Vista.

3. If using a blank hard disk: When the Windows Vista installer menu appears, choose the first option, Install Now.

If installing over an existing guest operating system: Skip to step 9.

4. Press Shift-F10 to open a command prompt.

5. Start the disk partitioning utility.

diskpart

6. Enter the following commands to partition the hard disk:

select disk 0

create partition primary

7. When the partitioning process is complete, click the Reset button to reboot the virtual machine.

8. As the virtual machine begins to reboot, while the VMware logo appears on the screen, click inside the virtual machine window, then press Esc to get to the BIOS boot menu. Choose CD-ROM Drive as the boot device, then continue installing Windows Vista beta.

9. In certain Windows Vista builds, the installer chooses an incorrect default in the screen titled Choose your installation destination. It shows a partition with 0 MB free and makes that partition the default destination.

At that screen, you must change the choice to the disk (instead of the partition), then click Continue.

10. Follow the remaining installation steps as you would for a physical machine.

VMWare provides a virtual set of hardware for the guest OS - any physical hardware in the host is (for the most part) irrelevant.

What you need to do is install the VMWare Tools, this installs drivers for the virtual hardware to allow higher resolution & colour depth graphics - but you will not get Aero Glass enabled as the virtual hardware does not provide the necessary support.

When you install VMWare Tools in the virtual machine, make sure to check Windows Defender and apply the changes it wants to make to the registry before you restart.

On restarting you should have better graphics support, the mouse is no longer captured, but you most likely won't get audio without some messing around with drivers for the emulated hardware (unless VMWare update their Tools).

Step-by-step guide to what you should do:

1. Start the Vista installation process, after clicking Install, once the "Starting Installation..." message appears, hit SHIFT-F10 to bring up a command prompt:

vmware-vista-01-diskpart.jpg

2. Enter the commands:

DISKPART

SELECT DISK 0

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

EXIT

EXIT

3. Reset the virtual machine, hit F2 to enter the virtual machine BIOS and change the boot sequence as follows:

vmware-vista-02-bios.jpg

4. Restart the Vista installation process (go through as normal now, disk 0 partition 1)

5. After installation, Vista will have the following in Device Manager:

vmware-vista-03-devicemgr.jpg

6. Install VMWare Tools, and during installation you will get a Windows Defender balloon pop-up to say some system changes need confirming, click Apply:

vmware-vista-04-windowsdefender.jpg

7. Restart Vista when prompted and your graphics should now be better, and looking in Device Manager you should have:

vmware-vista-05-devicemgr.jpg

is it possible to copy files from vmware workstation to my PC?

Yes, this is done by adding a shared folder.

With the VM running, right-click on the tab with the name and click Settings, then go to the Options tab.

Select Shared Folders on the left, then click on the Add button on the right to start the wizard.

Give the share a name, specify the location and read/write settings required, then click OK.

From within the VM now you can access the shared folders by running "\\.host\Shared Folders".

If you click on the VMWare Tools icon in the system tray in the VM you can see the "Shared Folders" tab with the brief help.

@fizban2: Yes, this is 5286 but for all intents and purposes the process is identical to 5270 I believe

hi,

is it possible to copy files from vmware workstation to my PC?

Once you install Vmware tools, you will also have the ability to drag and drop files into the VM, from the Vm just drag the files to your desktop and they will be copied there. This also works to move files into the VM

unfortuantly no, not unless you can get your VM to recogonize your Video card, which i do not believe is possible since it uses a generic SVGA driver to show video, you would be better off either either dual booting your machine or get another HD you can use for testing

• 2 weeks later...

I try to follow the intructions, but after:

DISKPART

SELECT DISK 0

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

I get the following message:

DiskPart has referenced an object which is not up-to-date.

Refresh the object by using the RESCAN command.

If the problem persists exit DiskPart, then restart DiskPart or restart the computer.

I try to instal build 5270 in VMW v5.5.0 build-18463

Thanks in advance for any ideas or tips!

restart the vm and follow the instructions to the same point again, if you get the same error, then try the command

C:\>Diskpart
diskpart> Rescan
diskpart> select disk 0
diskpart> create partition primary

that should get it, if not your VM isn't registering the VHD that you added, did you add a SCSI or IDE HD to the VM?

Edited by fizban2

• 1 month later...

I have created the partition as you say and it was created ok

then i restarted the vmware and i added in the vmware bios

cd as first boot device but when i continue i receive an error

after the two screens that asks for cd key and computer name

EDIT

i solved this one by my self

thanks for ignoring me :)

Edited by InViSibLe Gr