ctrl alt del

Wolf_Demon

ok....when i did this, it would bring up the task manager. now it brings up some other thing...that says "windows security" that has options for locking the computer and has a button for the task manager. i'd like to change it back to automatically bringing up the task manager :)

thanks in advance

(using XP Home btw)

The secure attention sequence should bring up "Windows Security" on XP.

Alternative ways to bring up Task Manager quickly:

- right-click the task bar and select Task Manager from the context menu

- hit SHIFT-CTRL-ESC

are you using classic logon? from what I remember, this happens when you switch to the classic logon..I'd verify this, but I'm running 2k3, and won't be installing xp till later tonight.

@ mr snrub: nice tip with ctrl-shift-esc! always nice to learn something new :P

@ mr snrub: nice tip with ctrl-shift-esc! always nice to learn something new :P

Here are a few more short cuts that you can use. Like you said its always nice to learn something new. I learned something new with that ctrl-shift-esc also!

Natural keyboard shortcuts

[Windows Key] Display or hide the Start menu.

[Windows Key] +BREAK Display the System Properties dialog box.

[Windows Key] +D Show the desktop.

[Windows Key] +M Minimize all windows.

[Windows Key] +Shift+M Restores minimized windows.

[Windows Key] +E Open My Computer.

[Windows Key] +F Search for a file or folder.

CTRL+ [Windows Key] +F Search for computers.

[Windows Key] +F1 Display Windows Help.

[Windows Key] + L Lock your computer if you are connected to a network domain, or switch users if you are not connected to a network domain.

[Windows Key] +R Open the Run dialog box.

[Windows Key] +U Open Utility Manager.

hmm...well the thing is...i used to simply press "Ctrl+Alt+Del" to get the task manager. now it doesn't bring that up directly, and is rather a hassle to have to click on task manager (us americans...always so picky :} ) and my computer has always automatically logged into my account because i'm the only one on the computer.

but thanks for the alternative ways. i can use them in case someone can't tell me how to change it back to how it was

Edited by Wolf_Demon

are you using classic logon? from what I remember, this happens when you switch to the classic logon...

Correct, if XP is set to use the "welcome screen" then CTRL-ALT-DEL brings up the Task Manager directly.

If the classic logon is enabled (or you are joined to a domain which does the same thing) then CTRL-ALT-DEL brings up the Windows Security dialogue.

To toggle the way users logon:

Control Panel / User Accounts / "Change the way users log on or off"

- "Use the Welcome screen" tick box

As an aside, Process Explorer from SysInternals is a much richer task manager, if you spend a lot of time looking at running processes:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

• 1 year later...

Yep. Welcome screen controls it. But if I were you, I'd be worrying about how it got changed just out of the blue. Did you do that accidentally? Or do you have someone making changes to your computer? Since you have only one account, it's probably an administrator account. And it apparently has no password. So perhaps someone is getting in to your computer. If I were you, I'd create a separate Admin account, and make the current one a regular account. Put a good password on the Admin account, and only use it when you need to.