[Question] - Which XP Pro Version should i use

bigsuma

Im trying to build a Univesial XP PRO CD .. that when i rebuild someones machine whether it bet Dell, HP, Compaq, Acer.. whatever .. It will accept their existing Licsnse CD key .. on the side of their PC (assuming its licensed for XP pro) .. I find more often then most .. especially with the new dell's that they dont include a RESTORE CD .. and on a HD crash . the OS is lost from the recovery partition.

Is there a ONE works on all version .. cause the ones in my Action Pack wont work .. they seem locked to the CD keys i was given.

Not sure if I fully understood the questions but:-

When buying a new PC ive not seen any shipped with XP Pro (not unless you pay extra) they all come with Home. Maybe the people your trying to fix dont have Pro? which is why there key doesnt work with your CD?

OK, here's the deal. Doing what you suggest could get you in real hot water with MS. Forgetaboutit!

Don't fuss wit da OS!

What you can do however is make a system restore disk for any PC while it's still working and in good shape.

Clean it up, tweak the registry to get the best efficiency, install your Protection Software and set up all the options. Make darn'd sure the HD is virus and Spyware FREE and Defragmented.

Then make a Restore CD or DVD using (Norton's) Ghost 2003. You can get the program over the internet for less than $7usd.

I use it a lot for myself and others. When burning a copy of the HD to a DVD it will ask you if you want to use the boot floppy or CD for the boot sector on the Restore DVD.

If disaster happens, you can replace or reformat the HD, then put in the restore DVD which will boot up the system and let you restore the saved image file. In just a few minutes you'll be back up and running with NO loss of data. Ghost 2003 can easily create the Ultimate Restore CD/DVD.

It's saved my A** (donkey) many a times. I use it twice a week, at least, to backup my own PC.

All Image files are saved on bootable DVD's for an easy restore.

Life's simple when you know how it works. :thumbup

Happy New Year,

Andromeda43

all OEM keys i've ever seen and gotten were Home Edition... I don't believe theres a method to make 1 CD for all... but you may want to read into setupp.ini (check google)...

There is a way, just have to get the details. >.>

For a universal XP Pro, being OEM...

76487 : XP Pro Royalty OEM***

***: Royalty OEM means manufacturers that are special to Microsoft's endearing heart. They get their own private key and generated product keys that only work with these special versions of Windows, which are not for sale. Certain big OEMs [Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, and more] are Royalty OEMs, and the little guys (your local mom + pop store) are obviously not. The mom + pop stores get 55277 for Home and 55285 for Pro.

More Info...

My Dell Pro SP1a CD, my Hologrammed SP2 OEM CD, and My Hologrammed MCE 2005 CD all have the same setupp.ini (76487). All of them will work with any Pro OEM CD-Key. They all installed (on a HP) with the Toshiba factory key, a Sony COA key, and a Mom-and-Pop OEM key (The MCE key also works but leaves me with an unstable PC with any other CDs).

The differance between the Hologrammed CDs an those produced by the Royalty OEMs are in the OEMBIOS.??_ files, not in setupp.ini.

Using generic or OEMBIOS files from a differant vendor will just require you to activate windows. MS allows you to transfer your OEM (including Royalty) licence to a differant motherboard if the origional motherboard is defective.