win98SE stuck in 640 by 480 pixels &256 colors

justjeff

What sort of graphics card are you using? Are all the necessary drivers correctly installed?

Also check in MSCONFIG first page Advanced settings panel and make sure 640x480 mode is unchecked.

Edited by LLXX

I think this is the graphics card info envision en-710e on s3 inc. trio 3D/2xV1.00.28. I am assuming that all the drivers are correctly installed since it had been working fine for a few years, but we all know what happens when one “assumes” things…

May have a new problem not sure why it is doing this but when I open the MSCONFIG file it stays on for a few seconds then goes back to the desk top before I have a chance to click on the advance button.

May have a new problem not sure why it is doing this but when I open the MSCONFIG file it stays on for a few seconds then goes back to the desk top before I have a chance to click on the advance button.
That is certainly a problem... it's not supposed to close automatically. Possible Virus??

:no: oh no not putor VD!! Now if I hook that one back up to mine through my gateway router can the virus get to mine?

And how do I check for a Virus and Fix? But I was able to real quick like click on the advance tab and the 640 x 480 is not checked and I was wrong about the colors it is stuck on 16 colors.

That's a problem that seems to haunt Windows 98 more than any other OS.

During boot up, something has interfered with the loading of the Video Drivers.

The more programs you have loading on boot-up, the worse this problen seems to get.

I've found that you can restore the high quality settings, but only one at a time.

Go in and set your colors to High Color 16 bit,,,apply and reboot.

Now the colors should be OK...

Go back into settings and set the resolution to 800x600,,,,apply and reboot again.

Now everything should be back up to normal.

I've walked my 98 customers through this hundreds of times over the phone.

And, I've never seen it fail to work when done as I've said here. (one item only, at a time)

good luck,

Andromeda43

\Ok\ tell me something about your hardware... probabely you just need to get new drivers... All drivers you can find at www.driversguide.com... Registration is free...

However the login looks : driver*

* - some number

and password: all