New Computer!

Aegis

Thanks everyone for all of your effort to help me buy my parts for my new computer :D! Can't wait for the parts to ship already! For those who are curious, here's the stats:

CrazyPC
Thermalright NB-1 Heatsink w/ Delta Fan - $18.99
Thermalright SI-120 Heatsink w/ Panaflo FBA12G12U - $59.99
-$9.49 Shipping

Monarch Computers
Opteron 165 - $299.63
-$5.90 Shipping

ClubIT
Western Digital Raptor 74GB - $159.98 ($20 Rebate Available)
-Free Shipping

Pro Travel Gear
Plane Quiet NC-6 Headset - $52.24
-$6.17 Shipping

Mwave
MSI GeForce 7800GT - $309.00 ($30 Rebate Available)
Epox nForce4 Ultra Motherboard - $93.50
-$13.53 Shipping and Handling

Newegg
Western Digital Raptor 74GB - $156.00 ($20 Rebate Available)
Arctic Silver Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier - $5.99
NEC ND-3550A BK OEM DVD Burner - $39.88
Lite-On Keyboard - $5.25
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - $5.99
Rosewill Value RV450S Power Supply - $26.99
-$17.10 Shipping

OCZ DDR 400 (PC 3200) 2GB Platinum System Memory - $243.00 ($30 Rebate Available)
-$3.83 Shipping

Page Computers
APEX SQ-327 Case - $44.86
-$17.93 Shipping

Subtotal - $1521.29
- Rebates - $100.00
Shipping and Handling - $73.95
Total - $1495.24

• 2 weeks later...
Rosewill Value RV450S Power Supply - $26.99

-$17.10 Shipping

Yikes! With that rig, DEFINITELY spend the loot on an OCZ, Antec, Seasonic, or PC Power and Cooling power supply. The 7800GT eats up 25 amps on the 12V rail by ITSELF!

What are the amps on that PSU rated for?

If you plan to overclock, definitely spend the extra $70 on a PSU. One big pop, and you could have a lot of expensive spare silicon.

Sometimes lowquality psu can suprise you, i'm been running my $24 psu for about 2 1/2 years continiously (save a couple of reboot's) and no probs.

Depends on the rig. For a basic computer for surfing the net and using Excel, sure basic PSU would certainly flip the bill. But if you're using a 7800GT PCI-Express video card and plan to overclock, the system will liekly get very unstable and will artifact/reboot frequently under a consistent heavy load. I've had a couple friends who've had problem with their gaming machines, and once they updated the PSU to the 450-550W range PSUs from OCZ and Antec, their problems immediately disappeared.

I think it's a matter of QC as well. A $100 PSU will probably have a failure rate of maybe 1 in 50, b/c it's a pretty big investment and overclockers/enthusiasts talk. A $25 PSU I would think would have a much higher failure rate.

*ahem* when advice fails, go with an anecdote, I say.

My friend was running on a cheap power supply. It exploded. I mean literally. Exploded. He's now waiting on a better replacement, and (because he doesn't have a spare) wondering if the motherboard and other components will be okay when it gets there.

Save your components from an early death. Better to be safe than to have to put up a headstone that says "My dream rig. It was loved, and is now in that big LAN party in the sky"

Would Newegg accept an RMA for that reason? I'm really a noob to RMA's...

Check with Newegg. If you RMA, the will typically send you another one, same one. If it's within 15 days, you get hit with a 15% restocking fee, but they will refund your money.

For ANY gaming rig with high end video cards and even a little bit of overclocking, a $100+ PSU is required. Otherwise it's like buying a Corvette with a 4-cylinder engine. There's a chance that any PSU can blow and take your system with it, but high-end PSUs are much less likely, and you see their volts stay solid at 12V, 5V, and 3.3V with fluctuations of maybe 0.1V on any rail.

I built 2 systems of my friends who requested Aspire see-thru PSUs (about $60) and you see the rails hit as high 12.6V on the 12 rail. That is still under the 5% limit, but I am more comfortable with 12.1V as my max. You'll see system instability if the rails are unstable, with high end equipment at least.

Ok so the 15 days already past :(, meaning that I'm stuck with what I have. My parents said they will not spend even a penny more on computer equipment...So is there any way to test if my power supply is actually stable or not? Would doing a performance stress test help? Even if I do have a bad power supply, just knowing how it performs under stress will make me feel better.