Windows Explorer Freezes

Wijono

I am using Win98SE and IE6.0 SP1, if I try to delete a lot of files in a folder, Windows Explorer start to freeze. In the forum I found a solution by replacing BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL that are meant for IE5.50 on WinME. The most recent version of BROWSEUI.DLL is 5.50.4948.700.

Now, the most recent security update KB905915 has among others replaced BROWSEUI.DLL with the version 6.00.2800.1692, resulting with the same problem again.

Sure, I immediately replaced it back with the version 5.50.4948.700 that works just fine. After this replacement, the Windows Update keeps on telling me though, that Security Update KB905915 is required. Is there a way to trick the Windows Update not to tell me to do the KB905915 update?

I'm using the 5.00.2919.6304 version of the browseui.dll and it works perfectly fine. I've moved nearly 80Gb of data at once, with a single Paste, with no problems, although the Time Remaining did jump to some crazy value (I can disregard that, given the fact that on my system it always transfers at ~10Mb/s). Perhaps downgrading is a solution?

Edited by LLXX

hmm, maybe that explains a few problems I've had with my windows installation randomly getting corrupted. Sometimes if I must reinstall windows, I copy over 40gb worth of crap back to my hdd at a time and before I know it, I reboot to a blank screen, and realize after all else fails (safe mode, scanreg, uninstalling random stuff etc.) that my windows installation has gotten totally f***ed quickly. That bug with the random times in copying files, I see that all the time on windows 98 and it NEVER goes away. Windows 98 has been out for how long now, 7 years...and MS still hasn't fixed a problem THAT obvious...get with the program Bill!!

That's strange... I've copied huge amounts of files right after a virgin install and no problems with corruption or anything like that... just the time displayed goes wierd but I consider that to be purely cosmetic.

BTW I'm using the *original* unmodified install of a v4.10.2222A 98se distro.

Could it be a hardware problem?

• 4 weeks later...

I think I found a solution to the problem I have mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Let me reiterate again, I am using Win98SE and IE6.0 SP1, if I try to delete a lot of files in a folder, Windows Explorer start to freeze.

Thanks to Frank Provo!! In his website as follows I found his solution by replacing BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL from IE5.5 SP2:

http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm

But then, if you do it his way, you will have to live with following minor annoyances that I touched also at the beginning, which are:

• The “Lock the Toolbars” functionality in IE6 is gone.

• Windows Update keeps on telling that Security Update KB905915 is required, and if you do it, the update will among others bring back BROWSEUI.DLL with the version 6.00.2800.1692, resulting with the same problem again.

To work around that problem, I have done the following:

1. Leave the original (most recent) BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL untouched in the folder WINDOWS\SYSTEM

2. Get the BROWSELC.DLL Version 5.50.4807.2300 from IE5.5 SP2 if you still have the installer, otherwise download from Frank’s website above

3. Get from Windows Update Catalog the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 (KB905915) - (Posted Date: December 08, 2005) for WinME (Yes, WinME!), from it you can then extract the most recent BROWSEUI.DLL Version 5.50.4948.700

4. Copy the 2 files BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL just got into the folder C:\WINDOWS

5. Create a batch file, e.g., PATCH.BAT, that contains following lines:

CD %windir%\System

regsvr32 /u /s %windir%\System\browseui.dll

regsvr32 /u /s %windir%\System\browselc.dll

regsvr32 /i /s %windir%\browseui.dll

regsvr32 /i /s %windir%\browselc.dll

6. Run the PATCH.BAT above and reboot.

After that patch, I can delete a folder containing more than 900 files with no problem. On top of it, I will not be prompted to do Windows Update (e.g., KB905915) that will bring back BROWSEUI.DLL version 6.00.2800.1692, and the “Lock the Toolbars” functionality in IE6 is intact!!

Now the last words, I can guarantee nothing about this solution. It works for me. So if you decide to do it, the risk is fully yours.

Good luck!!

That's strange... I've copied huge amounts of files right after a virgin install and no problems with corruption or anything like that... just the time displayed goes wierd but I consider that to be purely cosmetic.

BTW I'm using the *original* unmodified install of a v4.10.2222A 98se distro.

Could it be a hardware problem?

I guess a update changed some files.

I think I found a solution to the problem I have mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Let me reiterate again, I am using Win98SE and IE6.0 SP1, if I try to delete a lot of files in a folder, Windows Explorer start to freeze.

Thanks to Frank Provo!! In his website as follows I found his solution by replacing BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL from IE5.5 SP2:

http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm

But then, if you do it his way, you will have to live with following minor annoyances that I touched also at the beginning, which are:

• The "Lock the Toolbars" functionality in IE6 is gone.

• Windows Update keeps on telling that Security Update KB905915 is required, and if you do it, the update will among others bring back BROWSEUI.DLL with the version 6.00.2800.1692, resulting with the same problem again.

To work around that problem, I have done the following:

1. Leave the original (most recent) BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL untouched in the folder WINDOWS\SYSTEM

2. Get the BROWSELC.DLL Version 5.50.4807.2300 from IE5.5 SP2 if you still have the installer, otherwise download from Frank's website above

3. Get from Windows Update Catalog the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 (KB905915) - (Posted Date: December 08, 2005) for WinME (Yes, WinME!), from it you can then extract the most recent BROWSEUI.DLL Version 5.50.4948.700

4. Copy the 2 files BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL just got into the folder C:\WINDOWS

5. Create a batch file, e.g., PATCH.BAT, that contains following lines:

CD %windir%\System

regsvr32 /u /s %windir%\System\browseui.dll

regsvr32 /u /s %windir%\System\browselc.dll

regsvr32 /i /s %windir%\browseui.dll

regsvr32 /i /s %windir%\browselc.dll

6. Run the PATCH.BAT above and reboot.

After that patch, I can delete a folder containing more than 900 files with no problem. On top of it, I will not be prompted to do Windows Update (e.g., KB905915) that will bring back BROWSEUI.DLL version 6.00.2800.1692, and the "Lock the Toolbars" functionality in IE6 is intact!!

Now the last words, I can guarantee nothing about this solution. It works for me. So if you decide to do it, the risk is fully yours.

Good luck!!

Why did microsoft replace the files in the first place ?

Edited by kartel

My assumption as follows:

When we do the critical patch, the Windows Update tries to scan the critical files in their default location, e.g., it checks whether the BROWSEUI.DLL in %windir%\SYSTEM has the most recent version, if not the Windows Update will prompt us to do the required critical update, e.g., if we replaced BROWSEUI.DLL in the folder %windir%\SYSTEM with the one from IE5.5SP2, then Windows Update will tell us to do the Security Update KB905915.

The good thing is that Windows Explorer and IE6 have different behavior when using BROWSEUI.DLL, EXPLORER.EXE will use the one registered, if we did as I described, it will be the BROWSEUI.DLL Version 5.50.4948.700 that we copied into folder %windir%, whereas IEXPLORE.EXE will directly use the one in the default location, i.e., the one we left in the folder %windir%\SYSTEM, in our case it is BROWSEUI.DLL version 6.00.2800.1692.

We can verify it easily by using "System Information" -> "Software Environment" -> "32-bit Modules loaded". If EXPLORER.EXE (Windows Explorer) is running then we also see BROWSEUI.DLL Version 5.50.4948.700 running, if we then start IE6, we will see the other BROWSEUI.DLL Version 6.00.2800.1692 also running together with BROWSELC.DLL version 6.00.2900.2180.

I like the way this fix is implemented HERE a lot better:

http://forum.maxthon.com/forum/index.php?s...34entry110634

If you implemented the fix that way, then Windows Update will keep on telling you that Security Update KB905915 is required, and if you carry out that update, then it will replace the BROWSEUI.DLL in folder %windir%\SYSTEM with the version 6.00.2800.1692, i.e., the the same problem will be back!!

At the beginning of this thread I have mentioned, that we want to "fool" Windows Update not to tell us e.g., to do the KB905915. I wanted to get rid of that annoyance.