WinXp, Norton IS 2003 and Ethernet ADSL

DaveIT

Hi everybody.

First of all, I have to specify I use Windows XP Professional, Norton Internet Security 2003 and ADSL with Ethernet modem.

Well, when I log in, system takes a lot of time before allowing me to use it.

The matter is with Norton IS (Antivirus and Personal Firewall) linked to Ethernet modem: in fact, when i log in without having linked the cable, time is much more acceptable.

I think that Norton makes some control when modem is linked to PC, but I don't know the reason for which it takes so much time, nor how to deactivate it.

Could anybody help me, please?

Thank you.

The reason why Windows XP takes a long time before you can use it when logging in, is because Windows XP hangs when its trying to scan the network for a DHCP server from your LAN, or your ISP and doesn't find any DHCP server.

You'll find that there's no delay if you manually assign an IP to your NIC, for instance, 192.168.0.1, but your internet connection probably won't work anymore.

But if you have 2 network cards, one for your LAN, and one for the ADSL, then change your LAN IP to the IP stated above.

I haven't got any more network card, because system is not on LAN.

I wouldn't know where to put this parameters to fix the problem.

Any solutions?

However, thanks so much for answering once.

Click on Start/Control Panel/Network Connections/Local Area Connection.

Right click then choose "Properties". Choose Internet connection (TCP/IP).

Click on "Properties", "Use the following IP address" then put you local IP

in this box along with the subnet mask. For example:

192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0 then put in your default gateway if it's not already there.

In the next area put your DNS numbers if you know them.

Now click on "Advanced", then the WINS tab. Select "disable NetBIOS over TCP.

Now click on OK all the way out and accept changes.

If you are not familiar with or do not know what the previous DNS and/or IP numbers are

then perhaps you should call your ISP tech support (sic) :) and ask them to walk you through it.

SunnyB

Automatic Configuration for Networks, MSFN Guide, FthrJack.

http://www.MSFN.org/articles.php?action=show&id=4

Nice guide with some piccies to get you started. AaronXP and SunnyB explain it in more detail.

Here is a quick trick. Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections.

In this window you will see your Local Area Connection. Right-click it, select disable, before you shut down Windows. The next time you start your computer Windows will load without the delay.

Tip. Right-click and select create shortcut. Answer Yes to creatie a shortcut on the desktop.

Evertime you start Windows simply right-click the shortcut and select enable from th pop-up menu. It will only take a few seconds for Windows to enable the connection.