Integrating drivers with HFSLIP?

Oleg_II

Kiki Burgh :hello:

(1) samples above make use of nvidia ... what about for ati?
Read the instructions on the first page and use INF that comes with your ATI driver ;)
(2) strange as it may seem, but for XP i just let the OS do its own thing for display resolution ... but when i try to update it using newer downloaded drivers from either nvidia or ati, it shows an error & cannot proceed with the update ... what could be the cause for this & how could this be remedied?[/qute] Sorry, don't know :no:

By the way I'd like my W2k has the same display resolution as XP without drivers - they seems to use nearly the same INF and SYS files but it's much better in XP and I can't get how it is done :wacko:

I remember I had the same feeling with Win98 and WinME.

• 2 weeks later...

My current HFSLIP-CD didn't seem to install any of my additional drivers.

When I tried to 'update driver' it looked for the correct file names, but they were not found in \WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 because they are still inside driver.cab?

I used the B' merge option in my answer file. The files I need are for Audio Chipset LAN and VGA.

This is the content of my \HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB

965g.cat
965g.inf
Advanced.tv_
Alcmtr.exe
AlcWzrd.exe
ALSndMgr.cpl
CAD.tv_
CPLUtl64.exe
DCC.tv_
default.tv_
Finance.tv_
HDA.inf
HDA01.inf
HDA104D.inf
HDA32.cat
HDA861A.inf
HDAHP880.inf
HDAHP882.inf
HDARt.inf
HDARt861.inf
HDX.INF
HDX01.INF
HDX104D.INF
HDX861A.INF
HDXHP880.INF
HDXHP882.INF
HDXRT.INF
HDXRT861.INF
ich8core.cat
ich8core.inf
ich8id2.cat
ich8id2.inf
ich8ide.cat
ich8ide.inf
ich8smb.cat
ich8smb.inf
ich8usb.cat
ich8usb.inf
keystone.ex_
layout.bin
MicCal.exe
netrtle.cat
Netrtle.inf
nv4_disp.cat
nv4_disp.dl_
nv4_disp.inf
nv4_mini.sy_
nvapi.dl_
nvappbar.ex_
NvApps.xm_
nvcod.dl_
NvColor.ex_
nvcpl.cp_
NvCpl.dl_
NVCPL.HL_
nvcplui.ex_
nvcpluir.dl_
NVDisp.nvu
nvDispS.dl_
nvDispSR.dl_
nvdspsch.ex_
NVEPClnt.ex_
nvexpbar.dl_
nvGameS.dl_
nvGameSR.dl_
nvhwvid.dl_
nview.dl_
nvmccs.dl_
nvmccsrs.dl_
nvMccsS.dl_
nvMccsSR.dl_
NvMCTray.dl_
nvMoblS.dl_
nvMoblSR.dl_
nvnt4cpl.dl_
nvoglnt.dl_
nvshell.dl_
nvsvc32.ex_
nvtuicpl.cp_
nvudisp.exe
nvViTvS.dl_
nvViTvSR.dl_
nvwcplen.hl_
nvwddi.dl_
nvwdmcpl.dl_
nvwimg.dl_
NvwsApps.xm_
nvwss.dl_
nvwssr.dl_
nwiz.ex_
RTCOMDLL.dll
Rtenic.sys
Rtenic64.sys
Rtenicxp.sys
RTHDCPL.exe
RTKHDA64.CAT
RTKHDA64.sys
RtkHDAud.sys
RtlCPAPI.dll
RTLCPL.exe
RtlUpd.exe
RtlUpd64.exe
RTSndMgr.cpl
SkyTel.exe
SoundMan.exe

Also it's not clear from your 'web page' whether the driver integration works with merge options other than A, B and C!

Any help as usual is appreciated!

Maybe Oleg can help with that. HFSLIP puts INF files in the I386 folder (to be copied into WINDOWS\INF during Windows setup) and puts other files in DRIVER.CAB. Those were the instructions I was given... :)

What you could try is to uncompress all files. That's all I can come up with.

To answer your other question...

Snippet from "the web site":

Note that this only works with merging options A, B and C.

Sorry if that isn't clear enough... :)

HFSLIP will replace existing files in DRIVER.CAB with the files you provide. Note that this only works with merging options A, B and C.
Suggests that DRIVER.CAB is updated with your drivers, however it doesn't say that if using D, E or F your drivers are /aren't added to SPX.CAB and utilized in a similar way. That is what I mean by unclear.

It may have been better, based on the fact we're not all fluent in English, to state exactly the situation when using the D, E, or F options.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First of all, thanks Oleg_II for this methodology. I looked at other methods to slipstream this one, but came back to this one because I didn't feel like creating all those subfolders required in the other methods. I am using this for all my drivers and every driver gets installed except for my wireless card. I have a slight variation on this method in that I am getting the drivers by way of doing a Double Drivers backup, excluding MS drivers, and that I move everything to a single folder (it seemed to make it easier to find possible duplicates because I was combining drivers on two machines)

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1 = %W2Kcd%,driver.cab,,"I386"

I think nowadays this should be:

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1 = "HFSLIPCD",driver.cab,,"I386"

by default, or whatever the user configured ISOTITLE is in HFANSWER.INI.

You said at one point: "it's not for every user because some INF editing is involved." I myself was too lazy to do all those INF edits. So I wrote a small AutoIt3 script called DrivercabHelper, to take care of the INF edits. Now it's for every user, hopefully! The script is also available in compiled form. for those who don't have AutoIt3.

The link to DrivercabHelper is in my signature.

Edited by daddydave

Hello all,

after a first try a few weeks ago (with very little success) I now again tried to integrate driver files into my installation with hfslip. I used "daddydaves" useful Drivercabhelper (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=89021) for this task. Just wanted to report the results 'cause I discovered some problems (that could maybe get resolved?). Will have a closer look at your suggestions before the next installation, but this may take a few weeks.

Okay, here we go:

• Most of the drivers obviously were successfully packed into the driver.cab (TPM, Monitor, Audio, LAN, WLAN, Bluetooth, Modem) and used by Windows during installation.
  • For some others I'm not sure (especially for the Intel chipset and the ACPI drivers of the notebook manufacturer) - I had not enough time to test whether the files provided by me were used or the default files coming with Windows. Will check this next time.
  • Here I definitely experienced problems :

Graphics card

I used the files from the ATI catalyst mobility driver. During installation the file "ati2erec.dll" could not be found, so the graphics driver was not successfully installed. The strange thing is: this file was present in the ATI package, I put it into the DRIVERCAB directory, and it was in the recreated driver.cab - although installation failed, I could not convince the search dialogue that it was indeed there. For all other files no error messages appeared. I'm really at a loss here why this file could not be found, and why it was the only one. Anyone with similar experiences, using the ATI drivers?

Mouse/Touchpad (called "Ultranav" bei Lenovo)

Drivers for this (provided by Logitech) were present in DRIVERCAB, yet Windows used its own default drivers for the mouse and the touchpad. No idea what went wrong. Manually updating them worked after the Windows installation, drivers were definitely compatible. Again: anyone with the same difficulties or even a solution?

PCMCIA

I provided the files for the Texas Instruments CardBus Controller (PCI-1510) in DRIVERCAB. But after Windows installation the driver seemed to be the default version provided by Microsoft. The odd thing is that the files of the driver as provided by Lenovo only consist of an .inf and a .cat file (not a .sys or anything like that). I could use them to "update" the driver information in the hardware manager though. What's up here?

Nethertheless, kudos for this great functionality of slipstreaming drivers, I really like the clean approach! In case the issues were not all my fault I hope I was able to shed some light on still problematic areas...

Regards,

Tomalak

daddydave :hello:

Thanks for the great app and support :thumbup

Tomalak :hello:

Well, this is not perfect method but I found there is no perfect methods for all drivers at all ;) Maybe with one exception though: official MS and using OEM folders :whistle:

I also have some issues and think it's because of bad-formed INF files. It happens. It's fun trying to troubleshoot it if possible. But still - not perfect I accept...

Tomalak :hello:

Well, this is not perfect method but I found there is no perfect methods for all drivers at all ;) Maybe with one exception though: official MS and using OEM folders :whistle:

I also have some issues and think it's because of bad-formed INF files. It happens. It's fun trying to troubleshoot it if possible. But still - not perfect I accept...

Yeah, the official MS method is what I used in the end (nLite was my friend which relies on the OemPnPDriversPath entry). But of course a pure hfslip solution would be nicer...

I'm not familiar with INF files, so no idea what especially the ATI driver's problem is. I've seen nothing in its INF file that would make this one file (ati2erec.dll) fail. But if you want I can send you the file next time I try to prepare an installation?

Thanks for your all your support,

Tomalak

Tomalak

My customized nVidea INF works fine with this method. But I had the similar error with Intel video adapter. I can try look at ATI INF but I'm not in computing so I can't garantee it will work after that ;)

A bug in DrivercabHelper has been reported. It does not currently handle Unicode files. If you are using DrivercabHelper and you run into issues with a particular driver, make sure the output INF file for that driver isn't mush. Workaround is to edit that INF manually as per Oleg_II's original instructions.

You can track the progress of this bug in the main DrivercabHelper thread in my signature.

Edited by daddydave

• 2 months later...

:ph34r:

How deep can the DRIVERCAB folder currently be made...?

i.e. HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB\Audio\Realtek\ALC883

\Camera\Logitech\QCX\ELCH

\Camera\Logitech\QCX\Pro3

etc

Will HFLSIP-1.4.2.cmd parse it correctly? or is it limited to ONE subdirectory under DRIVERCAB?

Should it be limited to only one subdirectory, are there specific "naming conventions" to be used?