Firefox Myths

Mastertech

Firefox Myths

Myth (Definition) - A fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology. While Firefox is a decent Web Browser, there are numerous Myths floating around the Internet regarding it. Hopefully this site will debunk some of these.

Interesting as quite a few of these are widely believed to be true. Please no flaming.

@Tarun - I believe that would fall under the category of "flaming". :P

As for the guide, it's will written and most of the facts are true. There is a lot of false advertisement out there about Firefox, which MasterTech has captured the basics.

Unfortunately, you'll probably get quite a few more unpleasant responses here MT. Thanks anyways.

Nah, wasn't flaming. He spams this junk on forums everywhere. :\

Firefox needs more RAM, etc because it supports tabbed browsing. Just the same as running multiple IE windows. -- No actual difference there; at least Firefox is more upfront and honest. ;)

Web browsing, Firefox is a lot faster with IE; even moreso after tweaking it. The only time I've ever had Firefox become slow is loading it the first time.

I've never gotten spyware from Firefox. Ever. Doesn't matter what browser you use, you can download spyware. But Firefox doesn't pop up with false adverts and things like ActiveX asking to install malicious applications. If it ever does ask, it's very clear.

The "Feature Myths" are hype created by the overzealous fanboys.

Jeez people they are only browsers. It does not make you an evil person if you use FF or if you flame FF or if u do the same thing to Opera and IE and Lynx and Safari etc etc.

Using IE is trusting microsoft, It does not make you an evil person: TRUE It does make you an naive person : TRUE

The reference is totalaly stupid.It even claim that firefox does not work on 15 % of the websites ! How they manage to calculate that ? :)

Edited by albator

I don't like Firefox (for several reasons) and have been using Opera as my main web browser for quite a while now, but the main article in this thread is doing a disfavor to anyone. I support free choice, competition and discussions, but there's no need to provide incomplete, misleading and sometimes even false information to achieve your goal.

As noted before, MSIE doesn't support XHTML 1.1 at all when properly coded (and then it's not even mentioned how it reacts to XHTML files with the .xhtml extension or with the optional <?xml?> tag in the code). As a web designer adhering to the W3C standards, this is no news to me. The author of the article has changed the description in his standards support section but he still doesn't seem to understand the figures in the browser support table of his source: "Ironically Internet Explorer supports changes to the XHTML 1.1 standard better than Firefox, 39% to 24%, even without fully supporting XHTML yet." He fails to mention that this is normal because there's much less to be corrected in the standards support of Firefox and Opera, which is actually a PLUS for Firefox and Opera.

And the added note in the Spyware section is simply ridiculous. I also clean people's computers from spyware and adware, and I can safely conclude that having Windows XP with SP2, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, LavaSoft AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster don't help much in stopping spyware from getting installed on the computer. Most of the time, these people don't even do anything until their system is completely unusable at which point I always advise them to let me reinstall the system (cleaning with Ewido, S&D, AdAware, MS Anti-Spyware, Kaspersky Anti-Virus and several removal tools if applicable is possible but the system will never regain the speed and smoothness it had before).

Also, as noted before in another article, the list of bugs on Position Is Everything isn't valid anymore (the link to that list has been removed by now). I know this because I've been going through most of the sections on that site quite a while ago while contributing to the "Opera Omnibus" pages. And before anyone comes up with the same type of article for Opera with links to the Opera Omnibus: the remaining two bugs are fixed in Opera 9 Preview 1.

Discussions based on actual, non-distorted facts --> OK.

Spreading false or inaccurate information --> no way.

Look there will always be one thing better than the other then that will be beat by some other product. Right now is the time for FF because IE had was in the lead all this time before but then it started getting long in the tooth. IE 7 seems quite promising but we wont know yet.

What is true though that MS does not stick to standards for coding HTML pages and that is a big pet peeve of mine because there are standards already set and MS has no right to screw with that thus empowering IE for certain sites and screwing other browsers that are trying to compete.

Even more: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.ph...page=15&start=0

This is also a great comment on the Nano page.

MasterTech, as he so incorrectly refers to himself, has been a laughing stock of major internet tech forums for quite some time now. I felt chills while reading your article, which I can really only describe as "sheer ownage".

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:50:26 PM

I really can't understand his way of reasoning. Either he ends up behind Homer Simpson in an IQ test, or he does this on purpose. The fact that he's misinterpreting and misquoting sources and presents them in a way to brain-inject the underlying, hidden message that "IE is better at everything covered" is so sickening obvious that his rebuttals --basically repeating the same thing-- give me a migraine headache...