98 FE USB Support

awergh

Is there a way to add extra usb support to 98 FE

What do you mean by "extra usb support"? USB is supported since Windows 95 OSR2.

Petr

Win95 OSR2 did not support USB at first. One had to install an update to add some USB support to Win95 OSR2 (which updated OSR2 to OSR2.1) but USB support for osr2.x was barely wimpy. some usb devices made in the late 90s require Win98 (or work better in Win98).

I think he means a 98FE version of these: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43605

maybe. just be sure to install ALL Win98 FE USB hotfixes/updates first to clear up some of the usb bugs before installing any third party usb devices & drivers.

Edited by erpdude8

• 6 months later...

heyal,

off topic...kinda.

is there a way to make win98se use usb mouse in safe mode? its enabled on motherboard but i have yet to see it work.

i'd like the mouse and printer [usb] capabilities in safe mode, i know it wont work in dos lol.

any help is greatly appreciated,

sb :thumbup

heyal,

off topic...kinda.

is there a way to make win98se use usb mouse in safe mode? its enabled on motherboard but i have yet to see it work.

i'd like the mouse and printer [usb] capabilities in safe mode, i know it wont work in dos lol.

any help is greatly appreciated,

sb :thumbup

USB mice can be used in DOS if USB Emulation or USB Legacy Support is enabled from BIOS setup. You'll have to press a key to enter BIOS setup when you turn on your computer and look for the USB option there. USB printers? FORGET IT!

I've just tested Safe mode on my bro's XP-based laptop and I CAN use the wireless USB mouse while running WinXP in Safe mode. If it worked in XP, than it should work in Safe Mode in Win98 AS LONG as usb emulation or usb legacy support (or usb mouse support) is turned on from BIOS setup. USB printers cant be used in Safe Mode because Windows disables them. You can only use usb printers in normal mode for Windows.