Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation

Thanks Bezalel,

I understand now.

Can you also get the “LicenceInfo” the same way?

It is also a Binary in the same location.

Also, I have a Gateway OS CD that has this in the winnt.sif.

[Data]

AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

The trouble with this is that I want more than One Partition.

On those occasions when I used the Gateway disk to Re-install, it wiped out the Partitions I had

created.

How can I get it to make more partitions and maybe partitions of a particular size?

If I want to use an XP Pro SP2 CD to build CD that might work to reinstall on a Computer with XP

Home, Will that work?

I do not nee Pro but that is what I have.

My Desktop is XP Home SP1 and I need to have an XP SP2 CD.

Thanks,

Joe

P.S.

Please direct me to where I can solve this. I am trying to Slipstream (Intergrate) SP2 onto my

Gateway OS install CD. I can do a clean XP SP1 install with it now.

BUT,

I get this error:

This Service Pack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated Software Updates.

Consult the Service Pack documentation for more details about supported integration scenarios.

Microsoft says (but no solution):

You receive an error message when you try to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) files into an

existing Windows XP distribution share

View products that this article applies to.

This Service Pack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated Software Updates.

Consult the Service Pack documentation for more details about supported integration scenarios.

This guide should be easy to follow. You can skip Steps 2 & 3 for the SP2 upgrade if your media is already SP2. You can use any other slipstream tools like copying OEMBIOS and WINNT.SIF files, RyanVM, or DriverPacks before step 4.

Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

>http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Install from the Gateway CD one last time and make a new Gateway install CD from the OEMBIOS files and key. You can have SP2 integrated, Driverpacks that are superior to the crap drivers that Gateway included, and integrate some windows updates just for fun. The Gateway disk was only good until you found out how to make a better one. Alternately you could remake the Gateway CD after chopping out some stuff in WINNT.SIF until it looks more like the simple one that the scripts make.

A Pro CD can't install Home and the Pro key in your registry or on the case will not be accepted by Home. Pro is better so if that is the license your laptop carries then use it. If you need Home then you start with an XP Home OEM SP2 CD, overwrite the OEMBIOS files, and include a key in WINNT.SIF from a Royalty OEM system running Home.

>This Service Pack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated Software Updates.

Those can be hacked out by hand. I did it once but I didn't use the result because it wasn't obvious why there would be such a message when it was so easy to remove them. Your solution is the same as what Gateway would do. Start with an unmodified XP OEM, slipstream it to the latest service pack, and apply updates.

Thanks for the reply.

I got as far as integrating the SP2 I am using the Gateway XP Hone CD.

I removed the SVCPACK Folder and I am trying to make a new SVCPACK.IN_ file.

Now I notice that some Fixes that were on the Original Gateway version were not included in the new SVCPACK.IN_ file.

(I have removed the SP1 “Q” and “K” Fixes in the original INF file for simplicity).

DX9Ntopk.exe etc. etc.

SVCPACK.INF

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

BuildNumber=2600

MajorVersion=5

MinorVersion=1

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="i386\svcpack"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[setupHotfixesToRun]

DX9NTopk.exe

js56nen.exe /q:a

vbs56nen.exe /q:a

dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:”install /q”

WMP9_MM2.exe

SunJava.exe

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Should I put these back or are they included in SP2.

Are they obsolete?

SunJava for instance, I am not sure exactly what that is, but will I need that.

The last problem is making the new SVCPACK.IN_ file a CAT compressed file.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

Is it possible (even in PM) to get public installation keys for XP HOME and XP MCE? on M$ link i found only XP PRO and TABLET... Many Thanks

EDIT: @Forum Admins - Please delete double post...Sorry :rolleyes:

Edited by sgufa

Is it possible (even in PM) to get public installation keys for XP HOME, XP MCE and SBS 2003 (R2)? on M$ link i found only XP PRO and TABLET... Many Thanks

Edited by sgufa

Is it possible (even in PM) to get public installation keys for XP HOME, XP MCE and SBS 2003 (R2)? on M$ link i found only XP PRO and TABLET... Many Thanks

There are no publicly released keys for the other OSs. Microsoft expects IT department to be constantly installing Windows XP Pro so thay have released those keys. They don't expect home users to constantly be installing home OSs or businesses to be constantly installing server OSs.

You will need to extract these keys from a working system or learn how to use Google.

I tried this yesterday and couldn't get it to work, I'd really appreciate some help here.

I have an asus laptop with just recovery discs and I wanted to install clean without the bloat coming with them. So I got a Windows XP disc from a friend (a proper hologrammed retail version afaik), the same type (Pro) and language as the one shipping with the notebook. I copied the content to HD, overwrote the OEMBIOS.BI_, OEMBIOS.CA_, OEMBIOS.DA_, OEMBIOS.SI_ and winnt.sif in the I386 folder with the files gotten from the method described by Bezalel on page 1.

After this I ran the XP through some nLiting, incorporated SP2, removed some content, filled the right details in its unattended page, did other small adjustments and burned it to disc. However, after I had wiped my HD clean and started installing, everything went fine until to my surprise it asked for product key! Even worse, none of the keys I could think of worked. First I of course tried the real product key of my laptop facotry installation (the one that the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder reports and which was written to the winnt.sif) but it didn't work. Then I tried the product key on the bottom of my laptop and the product key found on this webpage, neither of which worked.

What have I done wrong? Could it be that the nLiting broke the installation somehow? When entering the 'unattended' stage it reported that there is previous unattended information in the installation which might be lost. I figured that this only refers to the unattended configuration, and does not break it. Should it work if I skip the unattended stage of nLite or have I misunderstood something about the whole process?

After nlite has done its business, put your OEM key back in the winnt.sif, and all should be fine.

The key from the bottom of the laptop will not work - it has to be the original OEM one.

Thanks for the tip!

However, after nLite is finished, the proper OEM key *is* in the winnt.sif -but it still doesn't work.

This is how the winnt.sif looks after the whole thing is done:

; Generated by nLite 1.3.5

[Data]

AutomaticUpdates="No"

Autopartition=0

FloppyLess=1

MsDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=DefaultHide

UnattendSwitch="Yes"

OemPreinstall="Yes"

OemSkipEula="Yes"

FileSystem=*

WaitForReboot="No"

NoWaitAfterTextMode=1

NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[systemRestore]

DisableSR=1

CreateFirstRunRp=0

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword="No"

AutoLogon="Yes"

OemSkipWelcome=1

[shell]

DefaultThemesOff="Yes"

[Components]

[userData]

ProductKey="Q9RV4-G448X-F4WJP-F69MX-XXXXX"

ComputerName=ASUS_NOTEBOOK

[RegionalSettings]

Language= "040b"

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

This is how the winnt.sif looks like after generated by the getfiles.bat by Bezalel's method:

[userData]

ProductKey="Q9RV4-G448X-F4WJP-F69MX-XXXXX"

[Data]

MSDosInitiated=0

UnattendedInstall=Yes

So it just seems nLite has added some extra parameters, but hasn't broken anything important. Also I just looked through the OEMBIOS.BI_, OEMBIOS.CA_, OEMBIOS.DA_ and OEMBIOS.SI_ filesizes of the finished nLited XP installation and they seem to be equal to those generated byt the getfiles.bat, suggesting that nLite hasn't modified them...

Could it be that I need to overwrite/modify more files of the FPP retail XP I386 folder than those aforementioned 5? In this thread jdboeck said that if you want to make a OEM preactivated XP cd from a FPP retail cd, you need to copy these 8 files from your recovery disc: "dpcdll.dll, oembios.bin, oembios.cat, oembios.sig, oembios.dat, setupp.ini, pidgen.dll, setupreg.hiv". So in addition to the files discussed here I'd need dpcdll.dll, setupp.ini, pidgen.dll and setupreg.hiv, is this true?

For example regarding the setupp.ini I found this in a guide once:

"So if you wanted a retail CD that took retail keys, the last line of your setupp.ini file would read:

Pid=51882335

And if you wanted a retail CD that took OEM keys, you'd use:

Pid=51882OEM"

Could this be the reason why my installation disc refused the OEM key I gave it - it is customed to only accept retail keys? This is how the setupp.ini of the final cd looked like:

[Pid]

ExtraData=7573666361697474646DC3545CBB62

Pid=55697270

In contrast, this is how the setupp.ini of my recovery disc looks like:

[Pid]

ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF

Pid=76409OEM

I'm getting a bit confused by all this... If I'd just copy dpcdll.dll, setupp.ini, pidgen.dll and setupreg.hiv from the I386 folder of my recovery cd to the I386 folder of the retail XP I'm installing from (in addition to the OEMBIOS.BI_, OEMBIOS.CA_, OEMBIOS.DA_, OEMBIOS.SI_ and winnt.sif files gotten with Bezalel's getfiles.bat) would it just solve my problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by visa tapani

I tried this yesterday and couldn't get it to work, I'd really appreciate some help here.

I have an asus laptop with just recovery discs and I wanted to install clean without the bloat coming with them. So I got a Windows XP disc from a friend (a proper hologrammed retail version afaik), the same type (Pro) and language as the one shipping with the notebook. I copied the content to HD, overwrote the OEMBIOS.BI_, OEMBIOS.CA_, OEMBIOS.DA_, OEMBIOS.SI_ and winnt.sif in the I386 folder with the files gotten from the method described by Bezalel on page 1.

After this I ran the XP through some nLiting, incorporated SP2, removed some content, filled the right details in its unattended page, did other small adjustments and burned it to disc. However, after I had wiped my HD clean and started installing, everything went fine until to my surprise it asked for product key! Even worse, none of the keys I could think of worked. First I of course tried the real product key of my laptop facotry installation (the one that the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder reports and which was written to the winnt.sif) but it didn't work. Then I tried the product key on the bottom of my laptop and the product key found on this webpage, neither of which worked.

What have I done wrong? Could it be that the nLiting broke the installation somehow? When entering the 'unattended' stage it reported that there is previous unattended information in the installation which might be lost. I figured that this only refers to the unattended configuration, and does not break it. Should it work if I skip the unattended stage of nLite or have I misunderstood something about the whole process?

You need to start with an OEM CD, not a Retail CD.

I'm getting a bit confused by all this... If I'd just copy dpcdll.dll, setupp.ini, pidgen.dll and setupreg.hiv from the I386 folder of my recovery cd to the I386 folder of the retail XP I'm installing from (in addition to the OEMBIOS.BI_, OEMBIOS.CA_, OEMBIOS.DA_, OEMBIOS.SI_ and winnt.sif files gotten with Bezalel's getfiles.bat) would it just solve my problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Setupp.ini should be enough.

You need to start with an OEM CD, not a Retail CD.
Ahaa, I see now, thanks. Got a bit mixed up with terms as I wasn't really sure what an OEM CD is... But if I copy the setupp.ini file from my recovery disc it should work even with the retail XP cd?

Hi Guys,

I was a little confused from reading the forums able the steps that I need to take to setup a pre-activation image from ghost.

What I was trying to do was setup a standard image of ghost for OEM machines which are all the same type, HPs. Each HP machine has its own OEM license and does have 2 recovery cds.. One for the xp install and the other for HP restoration process.

So here are my steps...

• Step up a working machine.
  • I created the 5 files from Bezalel's
  • I copied over the OEMBIOS.BI_, OEMBIOS.CA_, OEMBIOS.DA_, OEMBIOS.SI_ and winnt.sif into the c:\1386 folder of the image with the current key on the machine.
  • Ran Sysprep, leaving the license key empty.
  • After, the system came up, It still ask to reactivate windows and requires me to phone Microsoft.

From looking through the winnt.sif, the product key is different from the OEM sticker on the machine.

So, I tried to run JellyBean to change the windows license key but it would not change the key. It stated that it was an invalid key.

--

Also, I notice that every time sysprep is run, and the image is copied over to another machine. This key will be invalid on the OEM sticker. I will need to call into microsoft to active the machine.

-----

Does anyone know which steps that I may be missing. ...? Or what I am doing wrong...

Edited by tencount

Hi Guys,

I was a little confused from reading the forums able the steps that I need to take to setup a pre-activation image from ghost.

What I was trying to do was setup a standard image of ghost for OEM machines which are all the same type, HPs. Each HP machine has its own OEM license and does have 2 recovery cds.. One for the xp install and the other for HP restoration process.

So here are my steps...

• Step up a working machine.
  • I created the 5 files from Bezalel's
  • I copied over the OEMBIOS.BI_, OEMBIOS.CA_, OEMBIOS.DA_, OEMBIOS.SI_ and winnt.sif into the c:\1386 folder of the image with the current key on the machine.
  • Ran Sysprep, leaving the license key empty.
  • After, the system came up, It still ask to reactivate windows and requires me to phone Microsoft.

From looking through the winnt.sif, the product key is different from the OEM sticker on the machine.

So, I tried to run JellyBean to change the windows license key but it would not change the key. It stated that it was an invalid key.

Does anyone know which steps that I may be missing. ...? Or what I am doing wrong...

This project is designed to create an install CD, not modify an image. If you want to modify an existing installation take a look at OEMScan - Automated Multi Manufacture Pre-Activation Utility. You cannot modify an image without having the risk of WFP restoring the origional files.