Will Vista really be released in 2006?

Link21

it should certainly be released sometime within this year, whether or not ppl choose to buy it is another matter. Personally i wont go near it with a 10ft bargepole as its going to be full of bugs and exploits that will get picked on relentlesly. i never buy any MS OS the same year it comes out as its just not worth the hassle.

I'm wondering what the final specifics for Windows Vista is. Apparently I've heard that you need at least 2 GIG of RAM just to run it. I mean come on, that is way too demanding, even for an operating system. What is Microsoft thinking anyway?

M.S.F.N. = Microsoft Software Forum Network Why do the people of this site have such an anti-Vista attitude? To all the haters, there's a site you might want to read, Slashdot.

Vista WILL NOT require 2 GB of RAM.

@Morocco, the folder views in Vista are many times more customizable than any previous Windows operating system. You can scale Explorer icons to literally any size you want. In build 5270 you have four choices for desktop icon size. In Xp you only have two.

Just because you haven't found these things doesn't mean they're not there. It is an entirely new OS, after all.

:whistle: negavite towards vista. I seen every os since 95 be attacked apon release.the beat goes on.

Oh yeah I agree. I hated XP when it first came out. You couldn't get me to switch from Windows 2000. I'm sure I will love Vista. But how can they not have list folder view? That's insane. Now I didn't spend much time on Vista at all, probably a total of 30 mins...... so maybe it's my mistake....

I have not read the entire Vista threads but a few thoughts below.

I believe Vista will be easier to install from what Ive read so far. Does anyone know how this affects an unattended installation? Is it very different to XP?

They will be using a new file system, will it be backward compatible to NTFS?

Cheers

MC

Originally, the next generation file system dubbed WinFS was going to ship with Windows Vista, however someone over in Redmond decided that to include it in the original release would not be feasable as it is still in the early beta stages. It will be released at the same time as Longhorn Server.

As far as installation goes, it is image based, so it will be super-quick to install and very easy to do an unattended. Microsoft have really geared the installation toward system administrators. Here is a bit of info on the stuff involved http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvi...ert/ximage.mspx

& Thanks for that info man :hello:

I will also be waiting some time to upgrade to Vista probably when it hits sp1 level if that happens.

Ive had XP Pro now for around two years & it hasn't past its use by date yet, as far as I'm concerned its doin what I need & has been reasonably tweakable to date.

The installation info mentioned in the MS link you suggested is very interesting the new imaging prog they will use. I do look forward to the future possibly install proceedures, answer files etc & will be closely monitoring these threads as time approaches.

Cheers

MC.

I have heard that Vista is behind schedule and still very early in the beta stage. Yet, everyone is talking about it being released by the Fall of 2006. If it is really early in the beta stage, do you really think it will make it out to final release in a year or less from now?

Or do you think sometime in 2007 will be a more realistic estimated time when it is released?

Is there any scheduled date yet on the release of Vista? Or is it all just speculation and hype?

yes, november - december 2005

Edited by wolf7448

Oh yeah I agree. I hated XP when it first came out. You couldn't get me to switch from Windows 2000. I'm sure I will love Vista. But how can they not have list folder view? That's insane. Now I didn't spend much time on Vista at all, probably a total of 30 mins...... so maybe it's my mistake....

Yes it was your mistake. Look below - that's list view in Vista (with crappy JPG compression because I only have MS Paint installed on my Vista partition). It took a total of two clicks to switch from detail view to list view.

I can't believe that a person would "hate" something that is A.) not complete and B.) only use it for a total of 30 minutes.

post-6508-1136314538_thumb.jpg

Edited by raskren

It is a bit of a memory hog

That's because they have a lot of debug code turned on with the betas right now. It was the same way with Windows 2000 and Windows XP. We won't have a good idea of what memory usage will be until RC1, maybe even RC2.

It will be code complete by the end of Feb. 2006, from then on it's bugs, fit and finish.

I think it is code complete now, and running at MS in parallel with the beta released Vista December 2005 CTP Build 5270. Just bug hunting, so, there shouldn't be more than 200 known and 3,000 unknown bugs left when it ships. :)

It will have to go RTM by July to get to system builders and retailers (around the world) by Sept. for the Xmas season. Although their big sales will probably come just after Xmas.

One good reason to get it is Virtual Folders. Very interesting way to organize things. Flash Demo

But I doubt that they update themselves with the 'Search for..' and 'Keyword'.

Yes it was your mistake. Look below - that's list view in Vista (with crappy JPG compression because I only have MS Paint installed on my Vista partition). It took a total of two clicks to switch from detail view to list view.

I can't believe that a person would "hate" something that is A.) not complete and B.) only use it for a total of 30 minutes.

post-6508-1136314538_thumb.jpg

That list view sucks. I was able to get that view, that's considered list? #1 it's vertical not horizontal. People read from left to right, not up to down. So a natural look would be horizontal. #2 there are only two columns. No good.

That list view sucks. I was able to get that view, that's considered list? #1 it's vertical not horizontal. People read from left to right, not up to down. So a natural look would be horizontal. #2 there are only two columns. No good.

It doesn't "suck" it is just different. Explorer draws more columns as you stretch the window.

Does it matter if we read left-to-right if we're reading columns which are top-to-bottom?