Laptop Upgrades

3aces

Well basically i have a Dell Inspiron 5150, now its running fine, im playin quake 4 at a gd pace, then i discovered that my hardrive drops in data transfer during game play resulting in small jerks.

So any reccomendations on a hard drive, and memory

Hey,

I took a look at the system specifications for the Inspirion 5150 and it says the memory in the unit is 200-pin 2.5v DDR333 ram. It says the 5150 has two memory slots, which can handle up to 512 MB in each slot for a total of 1GB. However, the user guide also says it can handle 2GB of ram, so.... yeah.

Mwave has a module for about $44.00 USD made by Crucial. Grab two of those to go to 1GB of ram. However, the system uses 128mb of that RAM for the video card in shared memory.

As for the hard drive, I like the Hitachi Travelstar 7200 RPM drives. I have one in a Mac Mini and getting the 100GB for a Powerbook. It should boost the transfer rate for your system. There is a 60, 80, and 100 GB model. The 60 from Mwave.com is running at $132.00 USD. However, these thigns run at 7200 RPM, compared to the 4200 or 5400 RPM that you usually find in notebook hard drives. Since it spins faster, that means it will require more power to run, and it will begin to zap your battery faster.

So, for about $230.00 or so with shipping, you can get your notebook up in performance a little bit. You can also look at other memory makers, and other hard drives. Seagate also makes a 7200 RPM drive, plus it has a 5 year warranty when you buy from a Seagate authorized dealer. I use nothing but Seagate desktop drives. However, I like Hitachi for notebook drives. Haven't had a problem yet.

Anyone like to sound off against me, be my guest. These are just my recommendations.

--Leviathan