Risetup required to use Riprep?

I recall reading that you need a Risetup image of the OS you're going to create Riprep images for. Is this true? I can't find any information on it now. If my memory serves me correct Riprep uses the Risetup image as a "base" to save space (no duplicate system files).... Am I right?

Hi,

Haven't used RIPREP images in a long time, but as far as I recall - you are correct.

You need a RISETUP file set on the RIS server to use RIPREP images. It is most likely because of the interaction between the RIS and the groveller services. I expect it is to save space, as you suggest.

Cheers,

Andy

• 2 months later...

Fencer,

It seems that creating images is not as good as just creating an installation directory?

Riprep is better for machines that are exactly the same?

Am i barking up the right tree?

Hi Quazl,

RIPREP is, in my opinion, preferable for building PCs only when you have similar hardware. Specifically it is best when the HAL types of the PCs you wish to build are identical.

Now, if you read around this forum you will find threads suggesting methods of altering RIPREP images to get them working on different HAL types, etc. but, in my opinion, it is a bit of a pain to say the least. If you make regular changes to your image (e.g. drivers, hotfixes, etc.) then it's even more of a pain to update.

Now, if instead you use a RISETUP image - a flat file image - you can use this on any hardware type. This advantage comes from the fact that instead of merely dropping a binary image onto the hard disk and hoping that it will work with the hardware, a full installation occurs.

That is, you get the usual Windows CD-based installation experience (except of course with RIS it's over the network rather than from CD). The main disadvantage with this method is that it takes longer than a RIPREP install. Our 3GHz machines take around 30 minutes from start to finish for a RISETUP install.

Given all of the above, I choose RISETUP, the only time I might advise to use RIPREP instead is if you're building a large number of machines concurrently and time is critical. However, for this scenario I would suggest Ghost multicasting is much better than RIPREP anyway.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Excellent Info. Thanks for that.

I found this really great site that talks about what you are saying.

www.vernalex.com

If you goto the link that says: Step-by-Step Video Tutorial , it shows some good advice for what you are talking about. I have a multicore at the house and I was able to change it to ACPI PC and also the ACPI Uniprocessor just fine. But I am inclined to agree with you. Logically, it seems better to have a flat install that you can always customize easily.

Thanks for the time and effort that you have put into this community.