[Completed] Custom Made Boot Menu

C01eMaN

just a quick Q (probably dumb one lol)

this is for a grafical dos bot menu right????

will it in that case also support a 2.1gb mutiboot CD (not dvd),

like for example MS uses for 'is cdroms

*note: you can fit virtual 2gb of installers in an 800mb cdrom, if you normalie would have 3 win2k3 versions and burn a single file only to 1 location if it normal would have been added 3times).

so now i ask if this boot manu also works on those kinds of cd's / dvd's

@-I-

The best way is to find it out by yourself :} Though I've never had issues with my CDShell boot menu, what kind of iso format i was using...

@Gen.Alexander

Which two fonts and which 2 plugins? For the Fonts you might wanna take a look here www.1001freefonts.com, that;s the place where I always search for new ones, so they might come from this site. For the plugins, I think you mean my AlienSkin Plugin, you have to buy you own, or search on the internet for yourself.

gr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

i want to create a new boot menu for the community that can be used by everyone

but it need some ideas for what to put into it

also i need some ideas for the backgrounds im going to be using... im going to make the menu with submenus too

Edited by C01eMaN

of course,

these menu and toolz will come on handy in any operation.

Especially recovery console on a automated XP,,

partition magic, windows 98 bootable, ghost, antivirus tools, are the tools to talk abt few..

for dual boot,, it is not concerned with ezboot,, ezboot is just for multiboot,,

for multiboot requiring same i386, u need to go through multiboot CD/ DVD guide by gosh. u need to hack some files to change the folder structure. some of them are boot.bin(boot sector), txtsetup.sif, setupldr.bin

for dual boot,, it is not concerned with ezboot,, ezboot is just for multiboot,,

for multiboot requiring same i386, u need to go through multiboot CD/ DVD guide by gosh. u need to hack some files to change the folder structure. some of them are boot.bin(boot sector), txtsetup.sif, setupldr.bin

I have seen a dvd image of 4.3 gb with ezboot menu system containing close to 30 different distros. Each distro is in a folder which is not necessrily a 4 character name. Each folder contains its own i386 folder and other files which you would find within each individual individual setup cd. Not a single file is hacked. I have checked quite a few of them by binary compare.

If I simply copy the contents of such a folder & add a appropriate boot.bin to create a cd they work absolutely perfectly.

So there must be something in EZBOOT menu system that allows it.

These do not boot to dos & run winnt.exe. These are all standard installations.

Edited by pmshah

i can't believe this is possible without editing some files,

First thing it is build with optimize option, (crosslinking identical files) therefore it can hold as many distros.

second thing there must be each relavent folder that points to the dedicated folder, for that, open the ISO with ultraISO(it will show the hidden content of the ISO)

inside the ezboot folder check all the boot.bin (or just like same) in notepad. It must show some thing like this at the end of the file SETUPLDR.BINBOOTFIX.BINHOME . Here boot.bin is pointing HOME directory. Now go to home directory(Approx 8 - 10 MB only) open the txtsetup.sif in notepad. Search for SetupSourcePath = "\SETUP\XP\XPhome\" , again it is pointing the main root folder, i.e inside setup\xp\xphome. here nothing is changed. the folder name is also i386. (this is just a simple idea, this may vary with ur iso but the idea is same) Simillarly check other boot sectors inside ezboot folder open that with notepad, find out the folder name, go to that folder open txtsetup.sif with notepad and search for SetupSourcePath = "XXX\XXXX\XXXX".

Edited by Nepali

As mentioned earlier I have already done that. I also know how optimisation works. I have also seen ERD commander & OOBE boot disks with doctored setuplder.bin If I were to copy the contents of the DVD to a hard disk in conventional manner using say Total Commander it would take up close to 45 GB of space.

Just to check it out I simply copied the folder under w2kpro to my hard disk. Found the relevant boot.bin on the net, it is available from a hundred different places. Used it as a boot loader pointing to \i386\setupldr.bin & burnt a cd. The I386 folder was in the root of the CD. In such a scenariomany changes to setupldr.bin on txtsetup.sif should render it invalid.

It booted & installed in full unattended mode. It dis not go the winnt.exe route either.

So I am assuming that it must be doing something different.

Even BCDW can boot BartPE with a simple change of the I386 folder to say WNPE & pointing to \WNPE\setupldr.bin to run live CD.

I have looked up a lot of material on putting 2 different OSes requiring I386 folders in the root of the CD. I have never seen any reference to editing txtsetup.sif, only to changing setupldr.bin in 3 - 4 locations & renaming from \I386 to say \W2KP or the like. I have tried this approach but it did not work It asked for the service pack disk. Same compilation with the I386 folder name unchanged & undoctored setupldr.bin file installed without a single hitch or prompt.

Edited by pmshah

I have looked up a lot of material on putting 2 different OSes requiring I386 folders in the root of the CD. I have never seen any reference to editing txtsetup.sif, only to changing setupldr.bin in 3 - 4 locations & renaming from \I386 to say \W2KP or the like. I have tried this approach but it did not work It asked for the service pack disk.

if it is asking the service pack DISK then the problem is something else,,

the CD root contents are not complete

u must keep relevent files intact

eg

WIN51IP

WIN51IP.SP2

WIN51.. (depends upon the version of windows XP, 2K, 2K3.........)

if u miss these files, the CD is worthless to boot from CD and run unattended

Note:

the process i explained was for clean install process which will boost up the installation more then 5 minutes.. but doesn't work for upgrade.

Even BCDW can boot BartPE with a simple change of the I386 folder to say WNPE & pointing to \WNPE\setupldr.bin to run live CD

for this boot.bin must be pointing to WNPE, i must be sure on this :)

To make the structure like this

CD

-all version of TAG files (WIN51IP, WIN51IP.SP2, WIN51, WIN51IP.SP1, blah blah blah)

-home

------i386

------files

------folders (all necessary which comes on OEM CD)

-PRO1

------i386

-MDEA

------i386

in this case, each boot.bin should be pointing to their respective folder, again setupldr.bin is pointing each respective folder. thats all

Edited by Nepali

I will give it a go over the weekend. So I am assuming I have to hex both the boot.bin & setupldr.bin.

In this case my path increases by more than 4 characters & will change the file size. If I am simply changeing the I386 occurances then that approach has not worked.

Simply for testing purpose I changed the name of the I386 folder. Used the hexed setupldr.bin & booted the cd. It did not work. I restored the I386 name & restored the unhexed setupldr.bin & worked flawlessly. So I am not missing file in my compilation.

If possible could you pm me the output of dir2text file for the directory structure? Will work from there.

Thanks.