What is the Best Fire Wall for and ISP?

sainfoman

Can someone tell me what is the best Fire wall for an ISP?

Will it be the Sonicwall Products? We have tried it and do not seem to work well and cost a arm and a leg

Do any body know the Astaro Fire wall? Hear it is very good and stabile with Spam assistance

Or the AstroFlowGuard

Please help we are desperate and spend a lot of money on the Sonicwall but have to restart the dam thing every once a day.

Thanks

is this for a small network? or for an ISP, that provides dsl,dial up etc?

I sonicwall is pretty decent firewall, depending on what you really want. and how many users, how much traffic etc are all factors.

if your inclined openBSD with PF or Linux with iptables is pretty cheap, tho not easy to setup. and both can handle pretty advanced configs and heavy traffic.

money no object cisco pix, is pretty good :)

-Nex6

If this is for a business, large or small, I would recommend Cisco's Pix 500 series.

I have not heard many comments regarding sonicwall, but for the few that I have, said they were robust.

Recently, for the past year, I have been looking at Sygates Professional services (On demand, specifically).

You're not going to find a cheap and reliable firewall application.

Cisco Pix is the way to go if you can, sonic wall is not bad i have intsalled it for a few clients and it works pretty good and the prices are not to bad.

if you are really pressed for cash and need free, enterpirse class FW like I said above openBSD with pf or linux with iptables, tho its pretty hairy to setup if you are not into *nix(Unix and or linuxs)

-Nex6

Boy what a loaded question this is. It's like asking what religion you think is the best one. I wouldn't think that a Sonic Wall or a PIX 500 series would be sufficient for an ISP serving say a few thousand customers. Both companies make higher end products that would scale up just fine.

To say what brand or product is "most secure" however is a pointless debate. It's only as secure as you make it. You need to ask yourself if you're willing to shell out the cash to have a qualified person configure the thing. Not just anybody can jump in and configure a Cisco PIX. Even though the PIX is what I generally recommend and in fact is what I use, there is no way I could ever configure one. Sure I can putter around to get config info and use the web based application they supply, but I absolutely do not have what it takes to properly configure one. As it happens, a good friend of mine who I partner up with often is quite proficient with the PIX (and CheckPoint, SonicWall, etc as well).

So ask yourself what it is you want to do with the firewall and do you have the ability or the means to have it configured and subsequently maintained. IMHO all of the big names have capable products that will get the job done. It's a matter of money and finding the right fit for your needs.