Intel centrino mobel teck.

wolf7448

img_centrino_logo.gifHey all,

I was wondering wat intel centrino excally was

is it just wireless hardware that lets you go around your house without wires or the whole world?

because i am looking into buying a notebook that has that teck. that will allow you to go to atleast the next city while still being connected to the internet, if there is such a thing

Edited by wolf7448

Centrino technology is a system that involves the processor, wireless network card and battery. The lower clock speed, better battery and integrated wireless are ment to put an emphasis on mobility performance. Not exactly good for games or anything else high-performance, but works great if you are always going around with your laptop.

You don't have to get Centrino to have wireless functionality.

Edited by I_Broke_My_MHZ

"Centrino" is a brand name that incorporates the use of specific hardware. Namely a Pentium M CPU along with the use of certain chipsets and certain wireless network cards. The specific combinations of hardware are "Centrino certified" to get the best mix of performance, mobility, battery life, and connectivity.

A Centrino setup can be used for gaming if it's paired with a decent video card. I'm typing this on a Centrino based laptop right now with a 1.86GHz/2MB Cache Pentium M and 2x512MB DDR2-533. This laptop just has the i915G graphics controller but a better video card would certainly have me playing some of the newer games on the market.

As for the wireless from city to city, that all depends on what sort of WiFi they have setup and what you pay to access it. Some of the mobile phone companies such as Verizon offer mobile broadband but I haven't tried any of them so I don't know how reliable or fast they are. There are coming technologies, such as WiMax, that are aimed at bringing wireless broadband into areas that are currently limited to dialup connectivity...they may also address the "always connected" issue.

More about Centrino here:

http://www.intel.com/centrino/

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

"Centrino" is a brand name that incorporates the use of specific hardware. Namely a Pentium M CPU along with the use of certain chipsets and certain wireless network cards. The specific combinations of hardware are "Centrino certified" to get the best mix of performance, mobility, battery life, and connectivity.

A Centrino setup can be used for gaming if it's paired with a decent video card. I'm typing this on a Centrino based laptop right now with a 1.86GHz/2MB Cache Pentium M and 2x512MB DDR2-533. This laptop just has the i915G graphics controller but a better video card would certainly have me playing some of the newer games on the market.

As for the wireless from city to city, that all depends on what sort of WiFi they have setup and what you pay to access it. Some of the mobile phone companies such as Verizon offer mobile broadband but I haven't tried any of them so I don't know how reliable or fast they are. There are coming technologies, such as WiMax, that are aimed at bringing wireless broadband into areas that are currently limited to dialup connectivity...they may also address the "always connected" issue.

More about Centrino here:

http://www.intel.com/centrino/

thank you,

so it really doesnt use your own connection it uses "hotspots" connection or a WiFi Connection, that is somewhat surrounding the area?