Unnattended install from the network

flob

Hello,

First of all, thanks to all contributor of this forum. Lots of info in here. Excellent.

I'm now doing lots of installs and I have a good understanding and use of unattended install for WXP. Now, I'd like to see if there is a way to install windows 100% from a network share (or whatever) on the lan. Ideally, I'd like to end up by getting rid of CDs and DVDs and just have a floopy to trigger the install.

I've searched around for this kind of method but I have'nt found any guide or tutorial.

Any idea?

Thanks

Flob

You can use RIS from Microsoft, but you must have a dc if I remember. you can use a free alternative but I don't remember the name, experts will post the name ^^

By the way, you need a gigabit network to have any benefit I think ...

You can use RIS from Microsoft, but you must have a dc if I remember. you can use a free alternative but I don't remember the name, experts will post the name ^^

By the way, you need a gigabit network to have any benefit I think ...

You do have to have Active Directory installed for RIS to work - you don't need Gb - it works fine on 100 Mb. If you don't want to use RIS/have AD, then RAMDisk PXE boot WinPE 2005, connect to a network share, and run winnt32 or use an imaging tool that runs under WinPE.