Winnt.sif => joinworkgroup fails

I always enclose the values in " " like this:

JoinWorkgroup="PRIVAT"

I seem to remember that gave me a problem before, but I can't recall if that was the fix or not. It was definantly due to an error in the winnt.sif. Where is the other "ARBEITSGRUPPE" coming from? Usually the default is just "WORKGROUP", so it sounds like there may be some other setting changing that value.

i use german xp

thats is the default ;)

i have this copyed from the tool what is in the folder support/tools/deploy.cab => setupmgr

i would see, if this app generate a error free winnt.sif with the correct value

but i get also the default: "ARBEITSGRUPPE" instand of privat

result of the app:

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup = PRIVAT <<< with space within = and PRIVAT

ok i try your value with quotas

hope i have luck

I think the problen is the space after the equals sign. The JoinWorkgroup value is a string and should start immediately after the equals sign. When the setup reaches the space it treats it as the end of the string. Since an empty string is not a valid workgroup name setup uses the default value which for this version is ARBEITSGRUPPE. Quotes are only needed when the string value contains deliminating characters.

Frechdax3000: I have made an AutoIt script that I run (Norwegian XP) as the last instance of my UA installation, that runs the network setup wizard, sets up sharing of printers and files and also sets the correct ComputerName and Workgroup. It gets the WorkGroup from winnt.sif (regardless of how your workgroup line looks) and uses your computers UserName as ComputerName.

Just modify the dialogs to match german system and the rest is ready to use. NO MORE HASSLE RUNNING THE NETWORK SETUP WIZARD AFTER FRESH INSTALL.

Here's the script!

:thumbup