Using the SP in an unattended setup

troy

Ok, so here I am having fun with automatic setups. I'm all but done.

In my msbatch.inf, I'm calling an AddReg to load up RunOnceEx with all the stuff I want to install. Here's the list:

1. USP21a
  2. (reboot)
  3. IE6SP1
  4. WMP9
  5. Codecs98
  6. DX9c
  7. (reboot)
  8. dotNet 1.1 + SP + KB
  9. dotNet 2.0
  10. (reboot)
  11. mdac 2.8 Sp1
  12. Hotfix 837009
  13. Hotfix 885492
  14. Hotfix 891711
  15. Hotfix 904706
  16. Hotfix 905915
  17. Euro Patch (just to clear windows updates)
  18. MS Agent (to clear windows updates)
  19. MS Java VM update
  20. Critical Update 4.0 thingie
  21. (reboot)

When preparing this list, I installed everything in the exact same order, except that the SP was installed after DirectX (I moved it because of a filecopy version error on HHCTRLUI.EXE). Other than that, the manual install worked flawlessly and Windows Update was completely cleared (except for the Language options).

When automating the process with RunOnceEx, everything completes without error, but there are 2 updates still showing in Windows Updates:

• KB905915
  • "Security Update, March 7, 2002" (Q313829)

The 905915 somehow cleared itself after another reboot, but the "Security Update" is persistant. Is this not something that should be taken care of by the Service Pack? This item did /not/ come up at all when I was going through a manual install of all these components, I'm not sure why it's wanting to install now (perhaps something funky one of the listed packages is doing?). If I have to, I can install this up around item 12, but I'd rather figure out the difference between the manual run and the RunOnceEx run of all these updates and packages.

Is there a better order for installing all of these things or certain things that absolutely require a reboot? I'm not too concerned about how many reboots it takes, though I'd like to keep it to a minimum, as reboots take time, and time is money.

Once I get this perfected, my next step is to bring in the 3rd party apps, such as mozilla, ad-aware, spybot, adobe, quicktime, winzip, etc... but not until I have a full unattended install that completely clears the Windows Update.

Thanks in advanced for any assistance anyone can offer,

-Troy

Edited by troy

That update IS installed by the SP, HOWEVER, the SP does NOT include the registry entries that Windows Update looks for. That is the reason. You could have that update install BEFORE the SP, so you don't get nagged by Windows Update.

On another note, I noticed that 891711 is on your list. The SP includes this update. It might save you some time on your installation.

the_guy

That update IS installed by the SP, HOWEVER, the SP does NOT include the registry entries that Windows Update looks for. That is the reason. You could have that update install BEFORE the SP, so you don't get nagged by Windows Update.

What registry entries do you mean? If you look into Q313829.INF, there are just the following lines:

[Sedgen.Rpsc]
VerInst q313829

[Bindfile.reg]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer","DisableFlushWrites",1,01,00,00,00
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer","UseCopyMaxBufferSize",1,01,00,00,00

SPUPDATE.INF contains:

; 313829
HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\Explorer","DisableFlushWrites",1,01,00,00,00
HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\Explorer","UseCopyMaxBufferSize",1,01,00,00,00
HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\RunOnce","q313829..",,"%25%\Verinst.exe q313829"

so everything should be OK.

Windows Update MAY also check the version of shell32.dll file if it is 4.72.3812.600 or newer.

If everything seems to be correct, I'd try tu use Filemon and Regmon to see what is the Windows Update checking.

Or even other way, I'd try to use Regshot and/or InstallWatch to see what changes are done by Q313829 update on clean system.

Petr

SPUPDATE.INF contains:

; 313829
HKLM,"%CurrentVersion%\RunOnce","q313829..",,"%25%\Verinst.exe q313829"

so everything should be OK.

IE6SP1 has a bug about this update, it just removes this information during setup. So, I recommend that you should install USP2 after installing IE6SP1.