$OEM$ Problem

Hi all

I'm having problems getting cmdlines.txt and drivers installed from my $OEM$ folder. It just doesn't seem to want to run anything in there.

My $OEM$ folder is in the root of my install CD (ie the same level as my I386 folder) and the [unattended] portion of my answer file is like this :-

[unattended]

Unattendmode = FullUnattended

OemPreinstall = Yes

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\audio;Drivers\nic;Drivers\video;Drivers\nic\Broadcom;Drivers\nic\Broadcom\Gigabit"

OEMSkipWelcome = 1

TargetPath = *

FileSystem = ConvertNTFS

ExtendOemPartition = 1

ConfirmHardware = No

OEMSkipEula = Yes

KeyBoardLayout = "United Kingdom"

UnattendSwitch = Yes

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

I've also tried placing my drivers in a $OEM$\$1\ folder, but still no joy.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers.

Andy

Do I have to use the OemFilesPath switch in my [unattended] portion of the answer file to point at d:\$OEM$ ?

In all the documentation I've seen from Microsoft they tell me to place the $OEM$ IN the I386 folder, where as all documentation on here that I've seen tells me to place it OUTSIDE the I386 folder. Microsoft then say that you must use the OemFilesPath switch if it's outside the I386 folder, but I've seen no mention of it on here.

I'm really confused now and using way too many CD's trying to get this sorted :o

Hi,

Just to be certain, you should place the $OEM$ folder at the same level as the i386 folder. The last time I checked (a couple of days ago) the documentation was agreeing on this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;314479

See the section under "RIS Installations".

I do not use an OEMFilesPath key, I just used to use OEMPnPDriversPath.

I use RIS every day and always have $OEME$ alongside i386. Doesn't work otherwise.

Yes - it is confusing! :P

Good luck,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

Do I have to use the OemFilesPath switch in my [unattended] portion of the answer file to point at d:\$OEM$ ?

You only need to do this when the $OEM$ folder is located someplace else, i.e on a mapped network drive or such. Double check to make sure your folder structure is within the $1 folder and matches the entries in your .sif file. Also, make sure you have the necessary driver files within those folders.

Edited by brainstane

That worked with only a slight tweak :-

I changed the OemFilesPath="..\$OEM$" to read OemFilesPath="D:\$OEM$", which I'd tried before, but not in combination with the [Data] entries.

Thanks guys :)

Now my $oem$ folder is being read, I've got loads of other problems with the cmdlines.txt portion of my install, but hey, at least it's progress of a sort, hehehehe :P

That worked with only a slight tweak :-

But of course,

back near the rear end of these forums when i first came here that was gone over a whole lot. Using an actual drive letter is indication that something still not quite right.. Minor things out of place will make it fail and if you doing this in VM then may need to change further to get it to work in an actual setup.

What I gave you works for me on a real CD/DVD setup last 100 burns, as long as all the other switches are right.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Hi,

Just to be certain, you should place the $OEM$ folder at the same level as the i386 folder. The last time I checked (a couple of days ago) the documentation was agreeing on this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;314479

See the section under "RIS Installations".

I had the same problem here as well. According to my test, I'm sure only put $OEM$ inside will work (I tried, several times).

After reading the article above, I think the problem rises because the different installation method. Since I'm using unattended setup, not RIS installation. See the "Unattended Setup" section in the article cited above.

PS: http://unattended.msfn.org/global/oemfolders.htm might need a bit correction too, I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

I've managed to find the root problem of all my issues with $OEM$ contents.

For some reason, all things that were supposed to run from there were failing because of the old 8.3 naming conventions! As a result, all the RunOnceEx, user setup etc commands that I've been using from this site just wouldn't work because of their long names. They were just being ignored!

I've shortened all of the names to 8.3 formats and now everything is running sweet :P

Just something that may be worth noting for anyone having similar problems

Andy