DirectX 9.0 December UPDATE ?

ggg

I was reading this page:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?...fc1f12fa5#12629

what I'd like to know is: does HFSLIP support the automatic integration of this update (I'm running XP SP2,while the instructions on HFSLIP site refers only to Win2000)

And while we're on the subject,they say also that the command directx /integrate:C:\XPCD\i386 doesn't work anymore,and to use

directx_9c_redist.exe /Q:A /R:N /c:"DXSetup.exe /Q /R:N /NoPID /DisallowSystemRestore" instead.

Has anyone tried it ? Does it really works ?

Edited by ggg

Could someone who downloaded the updated version check if this edition includes D3DX DLLs (Crash&Burn told us about them some day ;)

- d3dx9_24.dll

- d3dx9_25.dll

- d3dx9_26.dll

- d3dx9_27.dll

I heard that M$ included some D3DX files in the new download (it became more "heavy" in a few MB if you noticed).

You must be comparing with the older runtime version. The December package is identical to the original redistributable release, except that "directx redist.txt" is no longer part of it. However, I no longer have the installer of the original -- only the extracted content -- so it's possible that the newer version was made at a lower compression rate than the original.

d3dxof.dll

d3dxof.xpg

Edited by Tomcat76

> This isn't anything "new"

Not true. The DirectX 9.0c December 2005 redistributable installs d3dx9_24 through d3dx9_27.dll, as well as the new d3dx9_28.dll. Therefore the Dx9.0c Dec 2005 redistributable supports any Dx9.0c apps linked against any Dx9.0c SDK up to, and including, Dx 9.0c Dec 2005 SDK.

This feature hasn't been true of the Feb 2005, Apr 2005, Jun 2005, Aug 2005, or Oct 2005 SDK releases, which included only one of the d3dx9_24 through 27.dll's. In general, none of these redistributables were compatible with Dx9.0c apps linked against other Dx 9.0c SDK's in the above list. For example, if you install Oct 2005 redistribuitable you might not be able to run Dx 9.0c app linked against Feb 2005 SDK. If you install each of the above 5 Dx9.0c redistributables, you will only have 4 of the d3dx9_2?.dll's, and you still won't have d3dx9_28.dll. Only Dx 9.0c Dec 2005 redistributable is truly backward-compatible.

They are part of original now ;) Not much benefit in fact. As Crash&Burn said these files are for newer games. Some games won't run without them and most install these files during games installation. There is a possibility that if the files are included in DirectX now they won't be included in newer games in future so one will need to obtain them anyway if wants to run these games.

I have these files saved in Additions folder of my installation disk just in case because the files can be added in System32 without registering.

I think DirectX binaries and their registration shouldn't change a lot so adding these files maybe is not difficult (for gamers sake only :D

Edited by Oleg_II

Does anyone feel like stepping up to the plate and letting me know which cab & files are needed/added for the following:

1. w2k+ie6+dx9c hfslip.

2. w2k+fdvfileset+dx9c hfslip

3. wxpsp2 hfslip

4. wxpsp1 + dx9 hfslip

I honestly have ZERO time to experiment with all builds and fine tuning all installations. If someone has time on their hands, let me know what is needed and I'll be happy to make it slipstreamed. If I really had the need for these files I would do it myself, but my system works fine without them.

Edited by tommyp

based on what i see, correct me tomcat crash and oleg, but all we HFSLIPpers need to do is re-download the redistributable (and put the same CABs into the folder they're already in). i am not clear that HFSLIP needs to change, we all just need to update our DX9 source files.

I stand corrected. I was apparantly looking at the wrong file... the one that's actually referred to as "redistributable" by MS. They really made a mess out of it now; "DirectX End-User Runtimes (December 2005) Full Download" is the current redist...

I have a question... You guys are talking about the D3DX9* updates... but what about the October update, xinput9_1_0.dll?

@FDV...

Apparantly not. Each of the DLLs mentioned earlier reside in a separate CAB file of their own, and then there's an additional distinction being made between x86 and x64. That makes 10 DLLs in 10 CAB files of which five are requested (if the October update can be ignored).

Something like this, I'd suspect... but I never tried it...

md WORK\D3D
expand WORK\DX9\Feb2005_d3dx9_24_x86.cab -F:*.dll WORK\D3D
expand WORK\DX9\Apr2005_d3dx9_25_x86.cab -F:*.dll WORK\D3D
expand WORK\DX9\Jun2005_d3dx9_26_x86.cab -F:*.dll WORK\D3D
expand WORK\DX9\Aug2005_d3dx9_27_x86.cab -F:*.dll WORK\D3D
expand WORK\DX9\Dec2005_d3dx9_28_x86.cab -F:*.dll WORK\D3D
makecab /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 WORK\D3D\d3dx9_24.dll
makecab /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 WORK\D3D\d3dx9_25.dll
makecab /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 WORK\D3D\d3dx9_26.dll
makecab /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 WORK\D3D\d3dx9_27.dll
makecab /D CompressionType=LZX /D CompressionMemory=21 WORK\D3D\d3dx9_28.dll
del /q WORK\D3D\*.dll