disable windows welcome screen

pherms

I'm using RIS to install windows xp full unattended. I'm almost there. I have only one problem. I can't seem to disable the windows welcome screen (the one with the usernames you have to click on).

I've tried everything. I set autologon in the .sif file, but this welcome screen keeps buggin me.

Does anybody know how to disable the welcome screen and how to set the autolgin option (in the sif file or in the registry. It doesn't matter).

With regards,

Pascal

You can set it in the registry quite easily. In fact there's a recent thread in this forum in which Cluberti outlines the registry keys that control autologon. From your description of what is happening, it sounds as though your installation is not properly joining a domain during setup. Is this intentional or by design?

You can set it in the registry quite easily. In fact there's a recent thread in this forum in which Cluberti outlines the registry keys that control autologon. From your description of what is happening, it sounds as though your installation is not properly joining a domain during setup. Is this intentional or by design?

I am trying this also, but not joining domain until after. I have scripts that run to rename the PC at first boot to a three letter site code and serial number, then reboot and then join the domain. I can't get it to skip past the welcome screen also. When I do an unattended setup over the network its fine, just fails wheile using RIS.

I cant set it by variable. i have 52 offices worldwide that will use this image. A VB script is used to qwery the ip address to determine the subnet, then from that info each subnet has a 3 letter site code assigned to it. Then the site code is combined with the systems serial # and that is the computer name. We dont want to create different sif files on each server to specify the computer names either. We more than likely wont even use RIS, but its one of the avenues we are exploring.

If you do choose RIS, these sorts of things can be filled out before the installation begins, so there's no need to modify it later. I did post autologon registry entries a while back, so a quick search on it should net you the registry entries you're looking for.

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try this as soon as I can.

I intentialy do not do an automated domain join. My RIS server is a domain controller for one of my domains at work, which I use to install windows and other software. When I'm going to replace a computer I have to join the computer to our production domain. That's why I see no point in autojoining new computers in the domain for wich my RIS server is the domain controller.

If all of your different domains are within the same forest, you should be able prestage your target computers into the proper domain and OU ahead of time. This way, when they autojoin a domain, they should join the domain to which they have been prestaged to.