n00b question!

Ok,

Here's my question, I’ve done XP Unattended installs before, all be it a fair while back using the original MSFN Unattended Setup Guide Pages. What's the best way to do it now? Those pages have changed considerably, and many many applications seem to have come to fruition like XPlode and nlite, which were both in early development when I first dabbled into it.

Has it now got to the point where nlite and other apps can do it all, and if it has, what are your recommendations on which app is best for what. I.e. network type installs, graphics enhanced installs, just plain old windows installs and whatnot?

Cheers

Ashimema

Even with all the new toys, I personally still do it all by hand. That way when something goes boom I can retrace my steps. Using other tools like nlite and WUCDMaker are nice, but the troublshooting is a pain when they don't work.

I have used WPI before, which is a program that runs after windows is installed...it helps get your applications installed nicely. If you only ever install one set of applications then in my opinion it's overkill...but if you like to change your software installs with each install, then it's a god send!

There have also been advances in the drivers arena...most the DriverPacks. Again, I don't use those personally, but I hear a lot of good things. But since I don't use but 10% of the drivers in the packs, then it feels like a waste of time/space. Of course, all the machines I work on now are Dells so I have it easy. In a situation where you work on various hardware configs then I bet the DriverPacks make everything easier...

And finally, their have been several custom setup packages made that help silently install applications. This is different than the WPI mentioned above...WPI is an interface. These new setup packages are custom made to get past any issues the normal installers have. The only problem I have with that is they tend to be hard coded to whatever the designer wants, and again it's also very hard to verify the work. That said, some packages (RyanVM's) are outstanding, while others are just a joke.

That only covers a small portition the advancements found on MSFN. I would suggest looking through the sub-forums...Application Installs and Device Drivers are a good place to start. Good luck!

Thank you for your response, you've pretty much hit on exactly what my gut was telling me. I'll take a look around in those two sections first however, as an quick fix would be good for a short term project I’m currently working on, but I think in the near future I’d like to have the skill of doing it al myself again (I'm sure it'll come back to me). Thanks for the advice on where to start, these forums have grown so much, it's difficult to know where to start :unsure:

Thanks Again

Ash

I totally agree with InTheWayBoy

Do the things manually and you have much control

also u learn a lot if things go wrong that way

But if u r lazy enough :w00t: and want things readymade

then use nlite.driverspacks,and other such softwares

good luck in your trials :hello: