Microsoft Office 2003 Unattended Install

Hi,

I've tried several times with several different methods to get MS Office2003 to install unattendedly. I use xplode to install my apps at the t12 stage of setup.

When Office2003 is being installed it appears that it is working because it does take a while to progess on to the next app but when I get to the desktop no component of MS office2003 has been installed.

I launch setup.exe for each component with the switch of:

TRANSFORMS=#systemdrive#\Install\Office2003\XXXX\UNATTENDED.MST /qn

Where XXXX is replaced by the individual component name such as Visio/Office/Frontpage etc. I have tried using /qb- instead of /qn and the result is the same.

According to the log file the install of office was successful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks

Edited by hohner

Why would you launch it for each seperate component? You should cretae a custom transform to install only the components you want and the features you want all at once. You are using the office 2003 restore kit to create the transform file correct?

I do mine from a batch file at first boot. Here is my syntax:

start /wait x:\office2003\setuppro.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended3.MST /qb-

Hi,

I've tried several times with several different methods to get MS Office2003 to install unattendedly. I use xplode to install my apps at the t12 stage of setup.

When Office2003 is being installed it appears that it is working because it does take a while to progess on to the next app but when I get to the desktop no component of MS office2003 has been installed.

I launch setup.exe for each component with the switch of:

TRANSFORMS=#systemdrive#\Install\Office2003\XXXX\UNATTENDED.MST /qn

Where XXXX is replaced by the individual component name such as Visio/Office/Frontpage etc. I have tried using /qb- instead of /qn and the result is the same.

According to the log file the install of office was successful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks

You're not actually using the # key there, are you? If you want to use it properly, you'd have to use %systemdrive%.

Hi,

Thanks for helping.

I created my transform files with the Microsoft Office 2003 Resource Kit.

You should cretae a custom transform to install only the components you want and the features you want all at once.
Do you mean ALL components? Or just the components which can be selected with Office installation. I'm installing Office, plus Frontpage, Visio, Onenote and Project. These are not part of the Office 2003 setup and therefore I launch setup.exe for each of them respectively. I guess I create one dvd which has all components merged to one, I have read a little about this. Then maybe you would only need to create one transforms file..... but this is a little off topic of my original post.
You're not actually using the # key there, are you? If you want to use it properly, you'd have to use %systemdrive%.

When you use the program XPLODE you cannot use the % symbols to wrap your paths. You need to use the # symbols. This code is within XPLODE's XML script files, obviously if I were to have it in a normal batch file I would need to change it to the % sign.

Hi,

Thanks for helping.

I created my transform files with the Microsoft Office 2003 Resource Kit.

You should cretae a custom transform to install only the components you want and the features you want all at once.

Do you mean ALL components? Or just the components which can be selected with Office installation. I'm installing Office, plus Frontpage, Visio, Onenote and Project. These are not part of the Office 2003 setup and therefore I launch setup.exe for each of them respectively. I guess I create one dvd which has all components merged to one, I have read a little about this. Then maybe you would only need to create one transforms file..... but this is a little off topic of my original post.

When you use the program XPLODE you cannot use the % symbols to wrap your paths. You need to use the # symbols. This code is within XPLODE's XML script files, obviously if I were to have it in a normal batch file I would need to change it to the % sign.

Did u use command setup.exe /a MSINODISABLEMEDIA=1 for making admin install point?

Than You slipstream SP2 and hotfixes and make *.mst file with ORK.

It was my problem too, and found on Microsoft site that. By default, instaling from removable media is disabled!

It costed me four unsuccessful installs of office untill I gave up and visit "official" site and as usual, i found a solution.

Hi GALAracunala,

I tried your method. I ran setup.exe /a MSINODISABLEMEDIA=1 and installed to F:\Office2003\PRO11

Then I slipstreamed office service pack 2 using the following code

msiexec /p F:\SP2\MAINSP1ff.msp /a F:\Office2003\PRO11\PRO11.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb
msiexec /p F:\SP2\OWC11SP1ff.msp /a F:\Office2003\PRO11\OWC11.MSI SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

Next, I created a custom .MST file using Microsoft Office Resource Kit 2003 and placed this into the F:\Office2003\PRO11\ directory.

Finally, I then transfered the contents of F:\Office2003\PRO11 to my xpcd; $1\$OEM$\Install\Office2003\PRO11\

I call this from a script file during windows setup using the following script

<item display="Microsoft Office 2003" image="#XPLODE#\images\office.gif">
<execute display="Microsoft Office Suite 2003" desc="Installs Access, Excel, InfoPath, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher and Word">
<program>#systemdrive#\Install\Office2003\PRO11\SETUP.EXE</program>
<arguments>TRANSFORMS=#systemdrive#\Install\Office2003\PRO11\UNATTENDED.MST /qn</arguments>
<wait>true</wait>
</execute>

When setup attempts to install Office it appears that everything is going fine, the process takes several minutes to complete. But still, when I return to the desktop there is no office2003 components installed. The only evidence that it tried to install is a complete empty Microsoft Frontpage directy in my Program Files.

Edit: Ok, I don't know why I didn't think of this before but I changed the switch to /qb- and was able to see a little of what was happening, it almost reaches 100% in 'configuring office' dialog and then a window flashes up and the process rolls back. I will try with no switch at all to see if that will help me catch the error message.

Edited by hohner

After removing the silent switches I was able to see what the error was.

Error 1406. Setup cannot write the value DW0200 to the registry key \Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW\Installed

Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact your Information Technology department for assistance.

I am installing as the system administrator. I think I remember reading a post somewhere with a similar problem. I'll see if I can find it. In the mean time, if anyone has any ideas how to resolve this, your help would be greatly appreciated.

I found some information on this error at another post on a different forum relating to a MSN Messenger unattended install.

I was able to edit the msi packages with Orca, search for the term "DW0200" and delete the 1 related entry.

Install now proceeds to successful completion.

Thanks for the helpfull link...

But why must you always assume that people don't search????

Just because people can't find the answers they're looking for doesn't mean they haven't tried searching.

Because I did a simple search for the word "office" and it was on page two of the results. I didnt even both opening up all the threads, I was just looking at titles. Many people think a search is just the very first page of results...or simply the first few returns and then quit saying they've searched when really they just pressed enter and gave up.

I believe you searched since you said you found something on another site, but the forum's search feature does wonders and alittle time will yield results.

Because I did a simple search for the word "office" and it was on page two of the results. I didnt even both opening up all the threads, I was just looking at titles. Many people think a search is just the very first page of results...or simply the first few returns and then quit saying they've searched when really they just pressed enter and gave up.

I believe you searched since you said you found something on another site, but the forum's search feature does wonders and alittle time will yield results.

You know, that's funny. I never even thought of reducing my search to just one simple word. I'll keep that in mind in future. Thanks :)

• 3 years later...

elo guyz.. im kinda newbe here. first thanks for this very informative site and very helpful people in this site...

well im kinda new also in the unatended installation of windows and office but i got lucky and able to do the windows. but im facing a bit of a problem with office 2003 unattended installation. i have finished the instructions given by "Alanoll" in this site (link: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/50/) but im sutck on the last part.. its say there to copy the code on the batch file.. but basically i dont know which batch file and where its is... can somebody help please?..

im sorry if this might not the right place to post this.. anyway can anybody direct me to the right place?

thank you all for your help.

• 2 months later...