[Help] private folders

rssfed23

Hi there,

I recently had to reinstall windows from clean. But i have all of my documents on seperate partitions.

I now have a problem though: i made some of the folders on the drive provate, and now that ive re-installed everything i can no longer acess them, so i am wondering if there is any way i can get the data inside them back?

Can any one help (i am running windows XP home edition)?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

Hi there,

I recently had to reinstall windows from clean. But i have all of my documents on seperate partitions.

I now have a problem though: i made some of the folders on the drive provate, and now that ive re-installed everything i can no longer acess them, so i am wondering if there is any way i can get the data inside them back?

Can any one help (i am running windows XP home edition)?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

How did you make them private? Third party folder locking software? Or is it just that the user from your old XP install has rights to the files/folders?

If that is the case, Doc is correct. If you right click - properties - you can go into the permissions section and claim rights to the folders. Make sure you check the box for child entries as well, if this is the case.

In XP-home the Security tab is only visible in Safe Mode, unless you want to download a third-party tweak such as this one:

Doug Knox - show Security tab in XP-home

anyone know anything about this, i did this on my Windows XP Home and it works perfect, I'm the only user on my comp but just like having features that i'm "not supposed to" have.

worked flawlessly, but was thinking about lookin more into it or see if i can make it unattended lol.. also need to make sure it doesn't screw up anything else.. so i guess my live system is more of a test system lol.