Anyone else having problems with KB905915 update

It causes errors all over the place on this drive

and on a second drive it works just fine,,,

I did manage to figure out it has something to do

with the file browseui.dll cause I can leave all the

newer files in place but just put back the older browseui.dll

and all works fine.......

Thanks Mac!

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

Well, browseui.dll is an IE and shell component, so if you're having problems after installing an IE update that touches that file, perhaps you should roll back the patch and try again? Does it happen all of the time on that system, or have you only installed the patch once?

IE patches can be fickle sometimes... I'll be glad when all patches use the same patch installer. /sighs.

maybe the browseui.dll file was corrupted or the IE update KB905915 was corrupted and not downloaded properly. un-install the patch and download & install a clean copy of the update.

you can get the KB905915 update for XP here instead from Windows Update:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/d...915-x86-ENU.exe

for those using NIS 2006, disable it before installing the IE KB905915 update. ditto when installing any kind of XP update. NIS2006 might have interfered with the update install process.

I have not found any problems with the IE KB905915 patches I have installed on both my Windows ME and my brother's XP machines.

In Czech discussion forums I've found many reports describing a reproducible problem with KB905915 fix: If default browser is Mozilla Firefox, new page from within IE is opened in Mozilla Firefox and not in IE. Clicking "Home" button causes hang up. And several other strange things. All people were able to isolate the problem to KB905915 fix - when uninstalled, everything was again fine, when installed again, problems arised again.

Nobody reported exactly what file was causing this behavior.

I have noticed no problem on my XPSP2 and W98SE computers.

It shall be noted that the WindowsXP-KB905915-x86-ENU.exe patch contains two sets of files - GDR and QFE, for browseui.dll, GDR version is 6.00.2900.2802 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.051123-1230) and the QFE version is 6.00.2900.2802 (xpsp.051123-1236).

Petr

I found out from surfing the net I was one of the ones that have tried IE version 7..

There seems to be some issues with 6 and 7 no matter how you tried it..

In my case I just ran it from a folder and didn't do a full install..

and it left a reg key in the register that messed with me.......

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}]

just delete this key OR

I whipped up a file in the blender to remove the pesky key....

download the file KB905915FIXWINXP.zip then unzip it..

right click the file KB905915FIXWINXP.inf that is in the unzipped folder KB905915FIXWINXP then hit install

you will get no it is done message ,,,

reinstall the KB905915 update and bingo there you go.......

http://rapidshare.de/files/9363568/KB905915FIXWINXP.zip.html

Enjoy Mac!

In Czech discussion forums I've found many reports describing a reproducible problem with KB905915 fix: If default browser is Mozilla Firefox, new page from within IE is opened in Mozilla Firefox and not in IE. Clicking "Home" button causes hang up. And several other strange things. All people were able to isolate the problem to KB905915 fix - when uninstalled, everything was again fine, when installed again, problems arised again.

Nobody reported exactly what file was causing this behavior.

I have noticed no problem on my XPSP2 and W98SE computers.

It shall be noted that the WindowsXP-KB905915-x86-ENU.exe patch contains two sets of files - GDR and QFE, for browseui.dll, GDR version is 6.00.2900.2802 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.051123-1230) and the QFE version is 6.00.2900.2802 (xpsp.051123-1236).

Petr

hmm, strange. I can force the KB905915 XP patch to install the QFE set of files. I ran the WindowsXP-KB905915-x86-ENU.exe file with the /B:SP2QFE switch to install the QFE edition of the updated files instead of the normal GDR edition. one could try that on an XP machine. the kb905915 patch might have changed some registry settings and that could be the reason why some people had problems.

so open Registry Editor and check the registry for the entry Coolsights2000 mentioned in his latest post, delete it and re-apply the KB905915 update.