How many Mbps is standard for DSL?

coldoven

I'm running at 56 with wireless and about 100 with ethernet....

Is this slow? I've got Verizon's deal. But I gotta wonder if its worth it... isnt dial up like 50 Mbps, or am I wrong here? It really doesnt seem that much faster than my old free dial up connection.

I secured my wireless with WPA-PSK but could somebody still be piggybacking my network?

Cable is, on average, around 1.5 to 1.7 Mbits per second, T1 is around the 2.0 Mbit mark....... ADSL is way down the list at around 500 to 750 Kbits per sec.....As for you Wifi being hijacked......WPA-PSK is pretty good for home use.....If someone has a passkey cracker they can still get in though....

When I open Network Connections and check the status on my wireless network, next to speed, it reads, 54 Mbps.

How can this be? From what you say, that kinda speed should seem impossible... but it still seems slow to me.

Ethernet reads around 100 Mbps for speed.

When I open Network Connections and check the status on my wireless network, next to speed, it reads, 54 Mbps.

How can this be? From what you say, that kinda speed should seem impossible... but it still seems slow to me.

That is usually your network card's maximum speed or the speed at which it is capable of transferring at over your network, not the Internet.

Test your speed here:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I'm running at 56 with wireless and about 100 with ethernet....

Is this slow? I've got Verizon's deal. But I gotta wonder if its worth it... isnt dial up like 50 Mbps, or am I wrong here? It really doesnt seem that much faster than my old free dial up connection.

I secured my wireless with WPA-PSK but could somebody still be piggybacking my network?

Hey there try out this little product here -- http://www.cablenut.com/

Download the CableNut program and the Updates also. I used this on my Cable network and increased my speeds by 2Mb/s. I know that they have preset settings for DSL in it also.

To test your speed you can download a large file from Microsoft's download server. They have huge amounts of bandwidth, usually you'll get speeds much higher than on the speed-testing sites. They have enough bandwidth to saturate a normal DSL or cable connection.

That is usually your network card's maximum speed or the speed at which it is capable of transferring at over your network, not the Internet.

Test your speed here:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

That was a really cool link, with my wireless connection I came in at about 722 kbps for downloads and 132 kbps for upload.

From what I understand, thats actually pretty good for DSL, right?... or not?

:( Last Result:

Download Speed: 0 kbps (0 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 68 kbps (8.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Guess I'm not really here at MSFN

PS. My actual download speed is 230 Kbps (on a 256 Kbps Wireless Braodband) as per WinXP SP2 Task Manager - Networking! :yes: