problem with XPize in RDP

arichardson

Hi all,

First off; great work with XPize, xpero.

One thing I have noticed is that when I login to my computer using RDP, the icons do not scale down to 16 bit color like they should. Not just the XPzised icons, but ALL the icons; which leaves everything (such as the folders) looking like their 256-color compatriots. It's plain ugly.

So, is there a way to make the icons color-scale properly for a lower color depth?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I will post some screenshots if it might help

• 1 month later...

xpero,

so you're saying theres nothing we can do in this case? im having the same problem, and unless remoting over a LAN, i ALWAYS downscale the graphics so i can remote smoothly. but now with xpize on the host machine its a lost cause. its either xpize or RDP and i NEED my rdp.

it kinda sux cuz I love xpize, but i cant keep it if its icons cant scale down like other themes do

• 1 month later...

I tested this and don't have any problems other than a few black borders where the alpha blending should occur. Sure things look a little jaggy without the alpha blended icons but it's not that bad.

I get a sluggish mouse cursor though. Switching to the default cursors fix this though. Also sometimes I end up with two cursors. When using the fedora ones I also get a default cursor (which moves smoothly).

If you can't stand the look you could try some alternatives.

I've tested Remote Desktop Control and it works fine even with 32 bit color. I've used the others in the past but can't tell you if they support 32 bit color. You might want to try UltraVNC. It's Windows only but has some optimizations which make it faster than the others (apparently).

HTH

Dobby.

Edited by Dobby

• 3 months later...

No way to 'fix' the problem. When developing XPize I just removed all 16 an 256 colors icons in order to reduce file size and because Windows does not use those formats normally (only in special cases).