3rd-party RAID storage driver using Winnt.sif

DmitryKo

HFSLIP documentation says it's not possible :huh: but I've found the following references below, so I'm a bit confused... does it really work?

unattend.doc from Deploy Tools for Windows2000:

[MassStorageDrivers]

This section contains a list of SCSI drivers to be loaded by the Setup Loader and installed during text-mode Setup. If this section is missing or empty, Setup attempts to detect the SCSI devices on the computer and install the corresponding retail drivers.

<mass storage driver description>

Value: Retail | OEM

Identifies the driver to be installed. It must match one of the strings defined in the right-hand side of the [sCSI] section of Txtsetup.sif (for a retail driver) or Txtsetup.oem (for an OEM driver). Multiple instances of <mass storage driver description> may be specified.

where:

• Retail indicates that the driver is part of the retail Windows 2000 product.

• OEM indicates that the driver is OEM-supplied. If the value is OEM, the driver must also be listed in the [OEMBootFiles] section of the Unattend.txt file.

[OEMBootFiles]

Specifies OEM-supplied boot files. This parameter is only valid if OemPreinstall = Yes and the files listed here have been placed in the \$OEM$\Textmode folder of the OEM’s distribution share point.

Note The parameters of this key are necessary if you are using ComputerType (under [unattended]) and/or [MassStorageDrivers].

<HAL file name>

Maps to a HAL description that has been defined by the ComputerType key in the [unattended] section of the Unattend.txt file.

<SCSI driver file name>

Maps to a mass storage device driver description defined in the [MassStorageDriver] section of the Unattend.txt file. There may be multiple instances of <SCSI driver file name> listed in the [OEMBootFiles] section.

Txtsetup.oem

This file contains descriptions of all the OEM-supplied drivers listed in this section and includes instructions on how to install them. This file must exist if this section is listed.

readme.txt for Intel Matrix RAID storage driver:

7.2 Use one of the following command examples to extract the driver files from the different package types:

c:\iata_cd.exe -a -a -p c:\<path>

c:\iata_enu.exe -a -a -p c:\<path>

c:\setup.exe -a -p c:\<path>

7.3 To install the RAID driver, as outlined in the Microsoft document 'Deployment Guide Automating Windows NT Setup', use the supplied TXTSETUP.OEM file included in this package and insert the lines shown in step 7.3a and 7.3b below into the UNATTEND.TXT file. This method is available for Microsoft* Windows* XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003.

7.3a Systems Configured for RAID Mode:

// Insert the lines below into the UNATTEND.TXT file

[MassStorageDrivers]

"Intel® 82801GR SATA RAID Controller" = OEM

[OEMBootFiles]

iaStor.inf

iaStor.sys

iaStor.cat

Txtsetup.oem

7.3b Systems Configured for AHCI Mode:

// Insert the lines below into the UNATTEND.TXT file

[MassStorageDrivers]

"Intel® 82801GR SATA AHCI Controller" = OEM

[OEMBootFiles]

iaAhci.inf

iaStor.sys

iaAhci.cat

Txtsetup.oem

PS. Just found this: KB234536 You cannot perform an unattended installation of mass storage drivers when you run the Setup program from the Windows CD to install Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

So, I guess the answer is NO :(

Edited by DmitryKo

HFSLIP documentation says it's not possible :huh: but I've found the following references below, so I'm a bit confused... does it really work?

Seems like you answered your own comment. If there is a need for this, perhaps someone will craft the code for it. I always thought that you need to modify the dosnet.inf or layout.inf or txtsetup.sif for scsi drivers.

Theres a lot of threads regarding SATA drivers in the NLITE forums, and/or Unattended. But believe it was NLITE. It is possible to do an unattended install with Mass storage drivers, one of the "tricks" that works - and that I utilized, is to remove all the windows default ATA drivers.

This is listed in a number of threads in those two forums. I don't recall offhand if removing the HD ATA drivers was necessary due to Nvidia's drivers not being signed or if it was some other issue.

Edited by Crash&Burn

Maybe this could be of interest:

Adding a driver

Scroll down to the post of zen69x

The thread is about XP but it just works fine for Windows 2000 as well.

I was sick of the F6 for my Adaptec U320 controller since I do not want to have a floppy drive installed.

Found this some time ago and it works just perfectly for me.

Edited by Bugs Bunny