Linux Social Experiment…People have NO clue

prathapml

First of all i have a photo printer no linux driver's work with it(. My motherboard cause's all linux install's to go into hissy fit's and die. So I'm not gonna go out and build myself a custom distro of linux and driver's for linux, and wait for hour's for linux to compile stuff from source, when I Have all the software free from where i used to work.

What mainboard are you using??

I Have all the software free from where i used to work.

LOL... I hope the software is freeware... not windows :rolleyes:

id have to agree with keytotime about the driver issues and linux, when i first got hold of linux after many hours spent downloading it on 56k i installed it only to realize that it didnt support the particular type of winmodem i had, i search high and low and it was impossible to find any drivers that would work for it ( i even asked in the IRC rooms but no joy )

i finally got my nice new dsl and i thought atlast i can finally get on the internet with linux, only to discover the piece of junk usb modem that comes for free with it wasnt compatible either. spent many hours trying to find compatible drivers for that also.

Linux is a great OS but its just not functional for the modern day user who doesnt have time to search / compile / learn everything about it in order just to use it.

In the end i got so pi**ed off not being able to use the internet on my linux system i went out and bought an ehternet card and router :D

What prathapml said but outside the 5% group ( I guess I could, if I had to, compile that is. ). There are very few here who are snotty or arrogant. There are a few who are slightly intollerant at times and/or get annoyed, but I can't blame them.

What you guys have to realize is that not only are you fairly bright but you think differently. You have an allacrity in learning and mentally digesting the information to put it in an organized form. You look at some text about computers and everything falls into a logical order and you remember it. I read posts that, for some people more than others, have come off the top of your heads. I read it and I can see that it has come off the top of your heads. And when it hits the paper, it is thought out and clear. You pare off the extranious junk and it never clogs your thoughts.

<snipped>

MSFN fanboy

DL

As for slightly intollerant and annoyed... yes it happens to me sometimes, but like you said, it's usually for a reason (most often that the topic in question has been hammered to death). For the most part, people here understand that others have different views and tastes in software. Just look at the friendly, constructive debates/discussions that DigeratiPrime, atomizer, and I have had regarding Firefox vs Opera. None of the three of us (at least that I can remember) have ever "flamed" the others for their viewpoints. All of the threads have been very constructive and positive, which is what I really like about this place. Try doing that on another particular forum - *cough*Neocrap*cough* - and you'd have your head ripped off before you know it. It's amazing the number of threads that have been closed over there because of flaming and ranting...

BTW, that's e-paper right? :P

I'm just bugging you. A really well thought-out post. :thumbup

@Zxian and prathapml - Thank you. I was a little wary of posting my feelings about bums. I was directing it purely at bums and not those in need like the victims of Katrina, here in the U.S.

I watch the debates that get heated and quite enjoy them. The to and fro is fun to watch as one calls the other an id*** without saying so. :D And I like the friendlyness and comraderie that is always present. Some of the technical stuff goes over my head but reading the thread is still a pleasure. It's an odd thing when you base how you feel or think of someone on one or two posts that are responses to a query or the like. From day one at MSFN, I have always felt positively about the crew here. The hardest thing for me to get used to is when someone changes avatars. Disconcerting.

There is another thread in 'polls' that asks how many comps you have. I have a couple of extra ones with low processing power that I'm got to do more experimenting on with Linux.

DL