change registry of another user

hi guys!

my appologies for possibly bad english first, it has been a long day at work, so my brain is a bit tired :D

i _really_ love this forum, it helped me out so many times now!

im setting up an unattended-install at work.

it works pretty good now, i found answers to most of my questions around here :thumbup

but one thing i didnt find here:

we have 2 accounts on every machine.

1 admin and 1 standard-user for the normal users.

its no problem to create the standard-user witch a small .cmd-file, thats working just perfect.

after installing windows, windows logs in with the admin-account, runs runonceex and installs all programs and stuff.

problem is: is want the registry-tweaks not only for admin, but also for the standard user.

another thing: our admin-screen is red, so all the admins know if they are logged in as admin or standard. now, after installing unattended, the screen is red like it should be, but its also red with standard-user

after looking around a bit i found out that u can load the standard-user netuser.dat in the registry, so u can edit the standard-registry over HKEY_USERS/<enternamehere>

problem is, its not unattended :(

any suggestions for that?

i hope u understand what i mean, if not, just ask and i try to explain it again :whistle:

thx in advance

moeTi

edit:

oh ****, thought i would post in unattended forums..

someone pls remove it if it is too wrong here..

Edited by moeti

Time to add HKCU reg entries:

Cmdlines.txt -> Goes to Default User (for all user accounts)

Logged on as Admin -> Goes to Admin account

Logged on as moeti -> Goes to moeti account.

so when i add something to HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT it is for all users?

i have to add the reg-keys within RunOnceEx, because i cant add them before installing several programs

so when i add something to HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT it is for all users?

i have to add the reg-keys within RunOnceEx, because i cant add them before installing several programs

You do not add something to HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT. As I stated above, at which time that you add the registry entries decides where the system will apply the registry entries into the registry.

problem is: is want the registry-tweaks not only for admin, but also for the standard user.

Here you state from 1st post that you want the registry-tweaks to be shared to other users which contradicts your last post of having to use RunOnceEx to apply them which will do the opposite to appling at Cmdlines.txt.

You can split the registry file and apply each part at the suitable time needed to accomplish what you want.

Edit: You can install software from Cmdlines.txt if that is more suitable also.

Edited by MHz

ok i will get more detailed about how my install runs at the moment:

this is my cmdlines.txt:

[COMMANDS]
"useraccounts.cmd"
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

useraccounts.cmd creates the standard user

runonceex.cmd looks like that:

[...]
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "blablabla" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\apps\user.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\apps\streammru.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 3 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\apps\stream.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Novell Netware Client" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\NovellClient\WINNT\i386\acu.exe /u /d:no" /f
[...]

so, as u can see, im adding registry-tweaks within runonceex (user.reg etc), after that im running several application-installs, and in the end im deleting temp-folders with another .cmd

why im doing it like that?

i thought (and that might be the mistake ;) ) that things like that...

;Disable Desktop Cleanup Wizard
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\CleanupWiz]
"NoRun"=dword:00000001

... wont work with no user logged in.

and thats why i started the tweaks after im logged in as admin.

any suggestions about that?

thx in advance!

moeTi

When a user is not logged on, as such a time as Cmdlines.txt executes, then registry entries for the unloaded HKCU Hive get redirected to HKU Hive. Most entries will be accepted at that point for what HKU will handle. Another option is to add an entry for HKCU RunOnce during Cmdlines.txt, to run a reg file on the HDD for each 1st logon of each user. The latter I use for a script to run for each new account.

If you do want to share all software and regtweaks then installing from Cmdlines.txt may suit you better ? I install all mine from Cmdlines.txt and it goes fine. New accounts absorb the software links and regtweaks fine. You may find some, if any reg entries may not take possibly as HKU may allow only certain entries.

To get the admin desktop to a red background, you would need to use HKLM RunOnceEx or HKLM RunOnce to apply the changes. You need to logon first to enable the admin account so you can apply then. This could be ok after the Cmdlines.txt to change for everyone's accounts background.

Your the best judge of what you need in the end. I can just help with some knowledge.

Edited by MHz

ok thanks for ur help :)

unfortunately i cant write a code for 1st logon and 2nd logon that easily, because after first logon i have to disable autologon, and after rebooting there will be the login-screen for the novell client (we have both novell login, and windows login after booting the machine).

/edit:

oh ****, i read ur post again, and now i understand what u mean. got it wrong the first time..

i gonna try that RunOnce tip :yes:

and i also have programs that are admin-only, so i definitly cant install everything with cmdlines.txt

ok, i gonna screw around with the settings now

Edited by moeti