WinXP faint loading screen

gheron

Hi Guys, I apologise in advance for what might be a long winded post!

I recently built my own rig

Athlon 64 3500+

Asus A8n-Sli Deluxe

1Gb Corsair

Asus 6600 256Mb

200Gb SATA

20Gb IDE

Anyways, everything was going well with my machine, and then I oticed a noise from the chipset fan, which Asus has confirmed is defective on there A8n board, they offred to send me there updated heatsink/fan but I decided to go for the Zalman Northbridge heatsink everybody was suggesting.

Successfully installed it last night.

Before I got my heatsink, while still using the old one, I noticed that my version of XP on my IDE when booting was hanging with a very faint screen on the winXP logo, then suddenly after 20 seconds it would brighten up and the progress bar would move and boot normally, I just put it down to the chipset overheating with the fan being faulty. It wasnt happening for my SATA install of XP (have a MCE 2005 and SP2 version).

After installing the new Zalman I thought it would be fixed, but now it is happening for both drives. SATA and IDE.

I had thought it could be to do with Micorsoft Media Deskop, wireless keyboard and mouse that I have, it does not seem to work in the bios screen, I cant actually use it untill XP loads. Have tried enabling USB legacy support.

Has anybody got any ideas? If you can be bothered to read this post!!

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Guys, I apologise in advance for what might be a long winded post!

I recently built my own rig

Athlon 64 3500+

Asus A8n-Sli Deluxe

1Gb Corsair

Asus 6600 256Mb

200Gb SATA

20Gb IDE

Anyways, everything was going well with my machine, and then I oticed a noise from the chipset fan, which Asus has confirmed is defective on there A8n board, they offred to send me there updated heatsink/fan but I decided to go for the Zalman Northbridge heatsink everybody was suggesting.

Successfully installed it last night.

Before I got my heatsink, while still using the old one, I noticed that my version of XP on my IDE when booting was hanging with a very faint screen on the winXP logo, then suddenly after 20 seconds it would brighten up and the progress bar would move and boot normally, I just put it down to the chipset overheating with the fan being faulty. It wasnt happening for my SATA install of XP (have a MCE 2005 and SP2 version).

That problem usually is seen only with older PCs, AFAIK. No big deal if that problem only occurs during the Windows installation process and it don't lock up.

Sorry, should have waited a bit longer to start moaning!!

Ok cheers, but it is happening every time I restart my machine so al just leave it on 24 hours from now on, if my new heatsink can handle that!

I might have a play about with Microsoft Wireless media desktop bundle I have, as it is not recognised to be used to navigate bios, have to wait till XP loads to get a response. IU have USB legacy enaled

Doing my head in!