Add DOS 6.22 to Multi-boot Disc

kof94

Hi ya'll,

I've been searching around trying to find how to add DOS 6.22 to my multi-boot.

There's quite abit on this dotted around but nothing really definitive and above all simple when it comes to installation.

I was wondering is there a way of auto swapping disks on the dvd i.e. when it asks for the next disc you just hit enter and it carries on loading. I know the diskemu module in cdshell will support two discs at once but I can't figure out how this works or weather this will help at all. Especially since it's three disks and then the sup disc.

The only other way I could see of doing it is combining/editing the disks into one .img and just memdisking it but I'm definitely lost on that one.

If anyones done this and wants to share the info or if you've got any ideas/suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming that you are referring to the Dos 6.22 disks when you are talking about disk swapping...

The only way you can do this is manually, as Dos 6.22 will ask for the next disk and so on.

If you see the readme file on setup disk #1, you have to expand the files on each disk

to a directory ie.. C:\dosSetup. The problem you have is there always seems to be at

least 1 file with the same name on each disk. So be careful when you copy that you don't

overwrite an important file. the readme file explains this... Once you are done expanding,

then you have another problem, creating the image. If you want it to install on boot, you

need to make the image a bootable one, ie... edit autoexec.bat to load the setup file. then

edit cdshell.ini to run the image, memdisk /dos622.ima

It is an arduous and frustrating task, Good Luck to you...

Chris :D

Bear in mind if you try to be slick and copy each disk to its

own directory, the setup disks will not ask you for the location

of the next setup disk and/or its files, it will just stare at you.

I have tried this before, and I wasted my time, you have to

have 1 directory with all the files, expand them to a directory

and cross your fingers :yes:

Thanks alot for that, I'll test it out today and get back with a result.

EDIT: How do I make a working .ima large enough to include all the disks. Not been having much luck with UltraISO. I keep getting errors.

Edited by kof94

Ok, I've got as far as having a folder with all the disks in it and an .ima to boot the setup file. but all I get is '.....insert disk 1'. :(

I've tried making an over sized .ima but memdisk and diskemu just pup out and crash vmware. :}

What next, has anyone actually done this on a multi-boot?

I just loaded the boot sector from a normal 1.44MB boot image. I made the image using Windows 98 Boot Disk, and I just used his boot sector and it worked! But I only tried to use it with BCDW, and no problem...

Do this:

1. Start WinImage

2. Select File > New

3. Select Imported: Select custom image format

4. Select your favorite number of sectors, sectors per clusters and then change the image format by editing the number of sectors (ex.: 12868 = 6.434 KB

I hope I could help you...

Sorry buddy your gonna have to treat me as complete n00b.

I've only been interested this for a few months. I've come a far way, my disks looking pretty phat and neer completion. I'm just stuck on this.

Could you provide the string you used in cdshell and any other detailed info. I get bogged down when it comes to all the extra parameters you can add to the different modules. :no:

Thanks.

Hey man, don't worry. We're here to learn with each other. :)

I'm not expert on this area, do you believe I don't know how to use CDSHell?! I use BCDW, it's easy and I can customize the interface as I want.

If you're still interested in the big image, and if you want, I could create a blank image with any size you want and send you the link to download. Then you could open it on WinImage and add whatever you want. Just easy!

My CD isn't ready, I'm still adding things to it. I'm still using a 56K modem to connect and I couldn't download too many things to put on my CD.

Ok, I've got as far as having a folder with all the disks in it and an .ima to boot the setup file. but all I get is '.....insert disk 1'. :(

I've tried making an over sized .ima but memdisk and diskemu just pup out and crash vmware. :}

What next, has anyone actually done this on a multi-boot?

You are doing it wrong.... If you have the original install disks, microsoft has a readme file

for doing this. If you want something simple, it is better to download the boot98 image from

the internet. refer to flyakite's tutorial. or the hard method, extract the dos files you want to

use from the disks, you have to type in extract fdisk.co_ fdisk.com for each file on the disk(s).

also you dont want to run the setup program after you extract all the files.

I use WinImage. Much easier... If you edit or create an image name it with .ima extension.

then edit cdshell, to /memdisk dos622.ima or whatever you name the file

You can't run an install off of a CD/DVD from the original floppy disk images. You need to have one of the CD install versions. There was one from Compaq (an OEM DOS 6.22/Win3.11 Disc) and I think some of the older MSDN discs had a CD version of DOS 6.22. The problem is that the install on the floppy disks checks for the disk labels, and in this case the labels have spaces in them. "disk 1" or something like that.

Cheers

Please be advised that DOS 6.22 will not correctly handle partitions over 512Mb on most systems, or 8Gb if your HDD controller supports advanced translation.

If you want a DOS, I recommend taking the DOS 7.10 kernel and associated utilities (from 98se). It will support very large disks with no problem. You may also want to include Windows 3.11 For Workgroups too, as with a minor modification that will run on top of DOS 7.10 :)

Edited by LLXX

I've got DOS 7.10 on the disc already so thats why I've steared away from 6.22, it's just not essential now.

Thanks for the info about 311 I'll add it to my disc now. :thumbup

What mods do I need to make though?

Edited by kof94