Tricking WU think Messenger 4.7 is installed

Just as my title says, Im trying to trick Windows Update think that Messenger 4.7 is installed, I want WU to show no updates available, but i do not want Messenger on my system, any ideas?

Edited by twizt3d

• 2 weeks later...

RyanVM's trademark is to be a bit cryptic so that you will have to do some reasearch on your own... That way you learn more...

I learned the same way that the file DataStore.edb in %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore stores the information of Windows / Microsoft -update. On a fresh install, run WU/MU once and HIDE whatever you want to hide and then immediatly close IE. Now grab DataStore.edb and place it in $OEM$\$$\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore.

PS. DataStore.edb will be IN USE by system after you run WU/MU and therefore you might have to boot to safe-mode to copy/replace it.

Next time you install win, it will remember the settings (this method also skips initial MU welcome process and default IE Tools>>Windows Update to microsoft update page (IF INSTALLED)).

Edited by BoardBabe

by hide you mean install correct? So basically i install xpsp2 then go to wu and install windows messenger 4.7, restart in safe mode and copy the datastore file, then copy it into $OEM$\$$\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore, and when i install using my UACD messenger wont be installed but windows update will think it is. Did i get that correct? i guess the only way to find out is try, but please correct me if im wrong.