[Help] - Computer freezes after viewing pictures

chas

After viewing pictures my computer totally freezes up. (inc Task manager). I generally use either Windows Picture & Fax viewer or Microsoft photo editor. This is particularly bad if I insert a picture into an e-mail. or a word document. I had this problem a year ago on an old hard drive and for a while it was OK on the new one, but now it is back. I have to reboot to clear the problem. The freezing does not happen immediately when I view or copy,.... but on the next task. *** Whilst adding this posting, I have also noticed that it can freeze by merely opening the My Pictures folder and viewing the icons, without even opening a picture. Can anyone help?

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

Ok... There have been some odd posts here... :blink:

In any case, have a look through my Windows XP Troubleshooting guide. Specifically at the part about Windows drivers and Windows Errors. Follow the instructions there (specifically, the sfc /scannow part) and then post back here. It sounds a lot like either a driver or system file corruption problem.

Thanx

Having run sfc/scannow it appears that things might have improved. However, it is early days yet.

I did have quite a few problems running the scan... repeatedly needing to "retry" thoughout the process..

Anyway it seemed to continue OK.. Only time will tell now ... watch this space