nod32 anti-virus 64bit

BJMckay

for those of you who have been waiting for a antivirus that works and scans all folders and directories in 64bit windows, its availabe as a trial at eset(nod32). 30 day free trial, dont know exactly when it will be released but, i imagine its not far away :thumbup

This is a beta, so dont go installing it on anything crucial.

nod32 64bit download 30day trial

Edited by BJMckay

• 3 weeks later...

yes avast has been around for longer, but it doesn't have the track record of nod32 in respect of detection of most recent threats and very low false alarms, also i have 2gig of ram, so i'm not concerned about mem hungry applications, i use sandra to benchmark my system before and after installing new programs to see if any performance has been lost or gained. see for ur self, install 30day free trial and compare to avast, i bet nod32 finds threats that avast cant. B)

but its not really a 64bit antivirus, its just compatible with x64 (fully compatible that is), but still, its a 32bit app, it installs under program files (x86), and consumes a lot of memory.

Oh really??? It consumes alots of memory?? I guess you have not used it before. :whistle::thumbup

I don't like to do this, but I'll bust out my "credibility" stick - I work for MS Support at the highest levels in Core OS platform support, and I can tell you that NOD32 uses almost as much memory as the absolute worst, McAfee 8 (although SAV 9.x and older are right behind - SAV10 with the latest update runs entirely in paged pool, which is much better). NOD32 installations can have serious issues in nonpaged pool usage on "power-user" and server-class systems, that to my knowledge have not been fixed for quite some time.

It should be OK on a 64bit system (where nonpaged pool is now 128GB rather than 256MB or 128MB), but it's still not a very well-written product, memory-wise.

And yes, it does install to "program files (x86)" by default, meaning it's still a 32bit application.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't like to do this, but I'll bust out my "credibility" stick - I work for MS Support at the highest levels in Core OS platform support, and I can tell you that NOD32 uses almost as much memory as the absolute worst, McAfee 8 (although SAV 9.x and older are right behind - SAV10 with the latest update runs entirely in paged pool, which is much better). NOD32 installations can have serious issues in nonpaged pool usage on "power-user" and server-class systems, that to my knowledge have not been fixed for quite some time.

It should be OK on a 64bit system (where nonpaged pool is now 128GB rather than 256MB or 128MB), but it's still not a very well-written product, memory-wise.

And yes, it does install to "program files (x86)" by default, meaning it's still a 32bit application.

I hate to say it as I'm new here but that is a load of BS. I've been running NOD32 for a while now on my 64 bit installation with no slowdown whatsoever. In fact, I wouldn't even know it's running minus the icon in my system tray. If any of you check out planetamd64 I'm sure you'll find similar opinions.

I hate to say it as I'm new here but that is a load of BS. I've been running NOD32 for a while now on my 64 bit installation with no slowdown whatsoever.

That's like saying, "I don't know what the problem is - works on my box". 99% of A/V installations work fine, but for the 1% that do not, the big three are the worst - NOD32, McAfee, and Symantec. Just because you have no problems doesn't mean others won't.

Edited by cluberti

I hate to say it as I'm new here but that is a load of BS. I've been running NOD32 for a while now on my 64 bit installation with no slowdown whatsoever.

That's like saying, "I don't know what the problem is - works on my box". 99% of A/V installations work fine, but for the 1% that do not, the big three are the worst - NOD32, McAfee, and Symantec. Just because you have no problems doesn't mean others won't.

I'm not saying NOD32 will work with all installations flawlessly but your original post is implying to me that NOD32 is bloated (a system resource hog) along the lines of the Norton suite and McAfee. If that's what you mean I beg to differ because I have tried all those products and it's certainly the lightest.

No, I'm not implying it's bloatware, but it is a resource hog - not in the sense that you may be thinking, but in kernel resource usage (a finite, non-upgradeable resource, unlike physical RAM).

Edited by cluberti

I agree with j0j0. I have experienced slow downs when using Panda AV or Norton but never with NOD32. Honestly if it takes up a lot of kernel resources that is fine by me as long as I dont experience any slowdowns unlike the other AVs. cluberti you could be right but I find it really hard to believe considering NOD32 is so light and it doesnt lag anything down.

cluberti you could be right but I find it really hard to believe...

What you believe doesn't change the truth :). Seriously, use whatever works for you, especially with antivirus. Just be aware that NOD32 does have some kernel and handle resource issues, although these should be somewhat mitigated in x64.