You like to install updates from original installation files?

wiSHmaKeR

Well this one is for you then :D

98SE SP rules of course! But some users prefer to install update patches from the original update packages (the small exe files supplied by MS). Before a few weeks I have been digging into MDGx's website and I found a pack which does this, but it installed alot things I didn't need. I separated the updates from it, and added some new. And it still used a batch file to install updates. So this is where the tiny program I wrote comes:

screenshot4eh.jpg

It's absolutely easy to add new updates. It's controlled by an .INI file (you can view an example .INI file here).

And surely this means you can customize it to be used for any Multi-Installations or Updates, not only for Windows 98 SE :yes:

Here

you can download only the program with a config for current critical updates.

Or here (~26 mb) you can download program with all the critical updates included (needs IE6SP1, DX9.0C, MP9 installed).

Here you can download an updated .INI file, including IE6SP1, DX9.0C and MP9, but you should download them from the site of Microsoft and put the installers:

- for IE6SP1 in .\ie6sp1

- for DX9.0C in .\dx90c

- and WMP9 .\WMP9.exe

Edited by wiSHmaKeR

You like to install updates from original installation files?, ...but you hate the ugly .bat files output ;)

It's not so much in my own case that hate using .bat files to install updates from the original installation files, it's more that I don't fully understand how to do it. ;) If I knew how to properly extract from the installation files all the necessary files and install them successfully using (a) .bat file(s), I would be doing it all the time.

In the meantime, thanks for this!

Succesfully tested here on WinMe with the 28 new ME hotfixes posted by MDGx. Even though one of the installers partially failed because of a missing target file (Q297958 and its filelist.xml from SFP that is removed from my system (It also fails when run on its own)) and I had to click on a dialog to carry on with the install, all the other ones went well. Nice job.

• 1 month later...
Well this one is for you then :D

98SE SP rules of course! But some users prefer to install update patches from the original update packages (the small exe files supplied by MS). Before a few weeks I have been digging into MDGx's website and I found a pack which does this, but it installed alot things I didn't need. I separated the updates from it, and added some new. And it still used a batch file to install updates. So this is where the tiny program I wrote comes:

screenshot4eh.jpg

It's absolutely easy to add new updates. It's controlled by an .INI file (you can view an example .INI file here). And surely this means you can customize it to be used for any Multi-Installations or Updates, not only for Windows 98 SE :yes:

Here

you can download only the program with a config for current critical updates.

Or here (~26 mb) you can download program with all the critical updates included (needs IE6SP1, DX9.0C, MP9 installed).

Here you can download an updated .INI file, including IE6SP1, DX9.0C and MP9, but you should download them from the site of Microsoft and put the installers:

- for IE6SP1 in .\ie6sp1

- for DX9.0C in .\dx90c

- and WMP9 .\WMP9.exe

:} This download is no longer hosted by mytempdir. Is there an up-to-date download site available?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
The file was removed.Reason: Hosting period expired (no download for a loner period).
I would be prepared to host the *updated* version of wiSHmaKeR's file if he would send it to me. Edited by plonkeroo