What might cause Phase 0 Error?

selyb

i manually installed NFM's Pre-SP2 pack for x64 (how do i know if SP1 is installed?)

i manually edited three inf files and recab'ed them

my winnt.sif is attached

from what i get on google for this error, it should have been caused by the programfiles options in my winnt.sif but ive tried several different combinations and cant get any to work

i looked at the partition after the setup crashed out and there were win\ and profiles\ folders

TIA to anyone who can :)

winnt.sif

i manually installed NFM's Pre-SP2 pack for x64 (how do i know if SP1 is installed?)

All x64 versions of Windows (XP and 2003) have SP1 built-in. If you've got an x64 version of Windows, you've got the SP1 bits.

As to the error, have you tried your Winnt.sif file without any of the program files options? Does setup work properly then?

Ok, so it seems fairly obvious that the problem isn't with your .sif file, but with file(s) on the disc itself. Roll back to using a default, non-modified XP x64 source, and if it installs, add the NFM updates and try again. If that works, recab one file at a time until it all works, or it fails. Whenever it does fail, you'll know where the problem lies.

this was an unmodified copy of regular xp pro (32 bit)

so you are trying to put 64-bit hotfixes on a 32-bit OS?

if i am understanding you currectly that won't work, you have to have Windows XP Pro X64 Edition if i missunderstood please say

and if i did misinterpret you, did you try installing just the base X64 windows?

Edited by ender341

so you are trying to put 64-bit hotfixes on a 32-bit OS?

if i am understanding you currectly that won't work, you have to have Windows XP Pro X64 Edition if i missunderstood please say

and if i did misinterpret you, did you try installing just the base X64 windows?

LMAO

hahahahahahahahahahaha

ok... im not laughing at you, promise

im laughing to keep from being offended

ive had much success with using answer files in the past and for some reason just the past couple of days ive been getting this error

first time i saw it i was trying to install x64 on my main computer

i purposely posted minimal information hoping that someone had run across this error and had linked it to either some simple syntax error i overlooked even though i slowly scanned the entire file, or that maybe someone had had an error with NFM's Pre-SP2 pack for x64

since no one has replied with such an error and considering i got the same error on an unmodified xp pro, im willing to bet money its some syntax error

maybe one of the string values requires quotes?

im trying to use a modified version of an answer file that has worked for me before and now im getting another error

"Temp setup files could not be found. ~you cannot use a non-cd floppy install with a cd install~" or something like that

winnt.sif

Edited by selyb

• 1 month later...

ProgramfilesDir="c:\Programs"
CommonProgramFilesDir="c:\Programs\Common"
ProgramFilesDir(x86) = "C:\Programs32"
CommonProgramFilesDir(x86) = "C:\Programs32\Common"

this is what was doing it

i changed to this

ProgramfilesDir=C:\Programs
CommonProgramFilesDir=C:\Programs\Common
ProgramFilesDir(x86)=C:\Programs32
CommonProgramFilesDir(x86)=C:\Programs32\Common

windows installs but folders are wrong

i do have C:\programs and C:\programs32 but i also have C:\program files (x86)32 and C:\program files32

oh well, i give up on x64 for a while anyway because i dont like explorer and so far i cant find workarounds for the quirks of running a 32-bit shell/file manager

Did you try running:

%SystemRoot%\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate

in XP x64? This will load 32-bit version of explorer. I found it usefull because that's the only way to rename files using advanced tab on XP x64. I use it to rename .mp3 files and other.

I include shortcut to 32-bit version of explorer in Addons Pack. Look at the screenie Link

btw, there should be no problems with my pack, I heavily test anything that I release.

i mean that i dont like explorer on any windows

ive been using litestep for >4 years and switched between file managers for several years

im not going to use Windows 64 unless i can find a way for litestep to spawn 64-bit programs and i find a 64-bit file manager i like

i wish i could find a free file manager with half the functionality of Directory Opus