Scan disk in ME

vettman

I've been trying to run a "thorough" scan disk. Some program(s) keep interrupting the scan disk process by writing to the hard drive. Using ctrl-alt-del, only programs running were Explorer and systray. MSN tech support person said the only programs that must be running were Explorer, Systray and Taskmgr. Taskmgr never shows up in the list of programs running; there is something called MSNmgr, though. I need to run a thorough scan disk, but will need to stop whatever is interrupting the process. Also, why isn't Taskmgr showing up in the list of programs that should be running?

Thanks for any/all suggestions

If there are programs interrupting the scandisk process, even though you only have two programs active in memory, the best thing to do is go into safe mode and run scandisk from there. You might want to run disk defragmenter as well while you're there because its likely to get interrupted if you ran it in normal mode.

Hope this helps :)

I've been trying to run a "thorough" scan disk.  Some program(s) keep interrupting the scan disk process by writing to the hard drive.  Using ctrl-alt-del, only programs running were Explorer and systray.  MSN tech support person said the only programs that must be running were Explorer, Systray and Taskmgr.  Taskmgr never shows up in the list of programs running; there is something called MSNmgr, though.  I need to run a thorough scan disk, but will need to stop whatever is interrupting the process.  Also, why isn't Taskmgr showing up in the list of programs that should be running?

Thanks for any/all suggestions

My brother purchased a computer sometime within the last year or two that came with Windows M(igrain)E. :D He's had this exact problem every time he's wanted to run scandisk and defrag on his system. I ended up manually killing a load of processes to resolve the issue. This is one of the many peeves I have with M(igrain)E. :)

As has already been recommended, running scandisk and defrag in Safe Mode is the best solution, IMO. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
My brother purchased a computer sometime within the last year or two that came with Windows M(igrain)E. :D He's had this exact problem every time he's wanted to run scandisk and defrag on his system. I ended up manually killing a load of processes to resolve the issue. This is one of the many peeves I have with M(igrain)E. :)

As has already been recommended, running scandisk and defrag in Safe Mode is the best solution, IMO. :D

I have ME and its perfect! :rolleyes: stop dissing it

Anyway vettman, if you have any programs like messenger or somethign in the program tray at the bottom right, close them, hopefully that should help. and if you have any discs in the drive take em out, and make sure your not on the internet :D

And if you really want to kill everything that runs in the background, run MSCONFIG from the "Run" line. Then choose "selective startup" then uncheck the line that reads "Load startup group items" and restart the computer. That will ensure that nothing except Windows itself is running.