Google takes out your garbage for you!

prathapml

Not to get on a soapbox, but they do warn that emails in trash may be deleted. Even if some messages do stay in there for more than 30 days (I would guess they don't do auto-deletes as long as sufficient server space is available?), I agree with the other posters, the trash just doesn't sound like a safe place to keep messages you want to keep, esspecially since they warn you about auto-deletes.

You said you use POP3, do you have these messages archived anywhere locally (archived by the mail client)?

You said you use POP3, do you have these messages archived anywhere locally (archived by the mail client)?
Nopes :(

The deleted mails weren't really of the "important" category.

They were more of "probably interesting enough to check out later" kind of stuff.

And also some sent/received mails back from the first day I got Gmail.

Anyways, I guess I'm coming to terms with the fact that those mails are gone.

But the big deal wasn't that the mails got deleted! What I was concerned about, is that atleast they could have sent a notice saying that trash is now going to be cleared out (so that I could archive any of the useful old-time mails), despite its status being "beta".

Sudden decisions, tentacles in every niche, power over millions of people..... Monopoly anyone? :P